V-berth Inset Won't Hold Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carolyn De Freitas

Has anyone had a problem with the hook pulling out of the v-berth insert? We just purchased a 1996 Hunter 376 and found the first time someone tried to climb into the v-berth, the hook in the center of the insert pulled out. Maybe it was already that way??? Has anyone found a good solution for making the insert sturdier? Those narrow wood supports on the sides don't seem enough. Are the newer Hunters designed differently in this respect?

M

Mark Juetten

Same Problem Bigger Ledges

Had same problem on my 1996. Had a wonderful local craftsman construct and retofit a 3" ledge in space where insert goes. Problem solved and it loooks like it came with the boat. I beleive Hunter has changed the Design.

A

Allan Frey

v berth insert upgrade

I got two latches, west marine 137786, and installed them on the underside of the insert. Attached the male end to the bunk side and the female end on the insert side, centered at each ledge. This holds the insert tight against the bunk. Then to prevent any possiblity of rotation when a heavy male would sit on the insert, I screwed a 1/4 inch thick plywood tongue, a few inches wide, onto the underside of the insert in the center. It works fine. Allan

R

Rich

Re-inforced Mine

Had the same problem. I reinforced mine with a steel plate. It's held up fine ever since.

C

Carolyn De Freitas

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up using 2 4-inch chrome-plated barrel bolts installed on the bottom on either side about 2/3 from the forward "point" of the insert. Drilled holes in the wood edge of the berth to receive the bolts. Also used 1/4-inch longer screws to hold hook onto insert. Had two adult guests using it over the weekend and it seemed to hold--without warning them to be careful how they got onto the berth. This solution is similar to the mid-80s Catalina 34 our friends have.

Status
Not open for further replies.