UV protection

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Our new to us, 2006 Capri 22 has a 150% Genoa on a CDI Furler. I assume its the original sail, but its still serviceable.
Two questions:
1. Since I single hand most of the time, I want to install a Visibility Window in the Genoa, so I can see on coming boats better. Dose anyone have a picture of this kind of window on a Capri 22.

2. The Genoa appears not to have any UV Protection on the sail, at least its the same color (off white) when rolled up on the furler, not a contrasting color. Upon closer examination, I don't see any extra material/panel sewed into the sail. I've seen pictures of other Capri 22 that look the same, i.e. no contrasting color UV Protector when rapped up. Is this something that Catalina did normally. I love the look of Sunbella's "Captain Navy Blue" against the white hulls!! Any advise.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Here's a picture of the one in my blade. Don't have one in my genoa.

I had to replace the window on it the first year. It's stuck on with double-sided sewing tape (from sailrite), stitched in place (partly machine, partly hand) and then has white sail repair tape over the stitching on the window side. Sewing the isenglass on didn't work very well because my wife didn't have a walking foot for her old sewing machine and the plastic kept sticking to the presser foot.

Ours came with a jib sleeve instead of a sewn on cover. It's basically a bit long, zip on cover that you raise with a halyard. Sailrite has kits if you have a decent sewing machine.

Mar 11, 2014
The Zip on covers are good if you race or sail a lot in light air as the leach cover adds about twice the weight to the leach which will kill the sail shape in anything under 4 knts. But the cover can be used for multiple sails so it saves $. For ease of use, you can't beat having a leach cover on the Jib so you roll it up and your done and don't have to deal with one more thing to put on or off when you want to just go sailing.

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
Re: UV protection/Window

Thanks for the replies on the Genoa window and the UV protection. I am still considering both options.
Thanks Pat