UV Protection for Roller Furling Jib

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Mehringer

My H26 has a roller furling jib, but the original owner never had UV protective cloth added to the leech and foot of the jib. Fortunately the sail looks ok. Can anyone tell me about how much it should cost to have this done? Any recommendations on where I should get it done (assuming shipping the jib via UPS)? Thanks - Ron Mehringer Hydro-Therapy

J

Jay Hill

Are you absolutely sure?

No offense to your ability to identify a UV strip intended, but UV protection is now available in white. You can't tell when the sail is furled, of course, but you might take a REALLY close look at the sail when open. It may have an extra strip sewn on that matches the sail. The only reason I say anything is that it would be the first furling jib I ever heard of that did not have some type of UV protection on it; even if it's just an extra layer of sail cloth.

D

Daniel B

White UV

Hi Ron, My new h240 also has roller furling jib and the UV protection is white. Does not have to be in the dark navy color like others. It almost looks like therr is no protection, but there is. If not, you would be able to tell over the years. Fair winds, Dan

R

Ron Dague

Sans UV Protection

I just recently bought a Hunter 34, which came with 6 jibs. Even though the boat has a Harken roller furling, none of the jibs has UV protection. Admittedly, the kevlar and mylar sails shouldn't be left on the furling, but my 4 dacron sales didn't have it either. The previous owner, being a fanatic racer, didn't want any (no matter how little) loss of sail shape caused by the UV protective cloth. I'm having it put on 2 jibs. On the Hunter 34, estimates were between $240 and $360 each. Also, Practical Sailer reports in the latest issue, that the darker the color of the protective cloth, the longer it lasts and better it works. The results are counter-intuitive, but it is a very convincing article. A must read before you make the expense.

D

Dave Condon

jib ho

Ron; IF this is the original sail that came with the boat, then you have no uv protection and will need to send the sail off to a sailmaker. suggest Navy(dark blue) Sunbrella cover. The new 260 jibs are chemically treated with UV protection. Crazy Dave

B

Bill and Nancy Berg

UV Treatment?

Dave, How new for the "self" UV treatment? Our boat was built in Dec 1999, but when I asked Hunter about the UV protection,Greg said it didn't have it and I would have to send the sail to a loft for UV strips. We had Hunter send it to Ullman so it could be done while the boat was being finished.

M

Mike Pajewski

Mine's white

We had our sail converted from hanks to furling. The sail loft recommended a lighter weight UV cover in white. The lighter weight cloth would make the sail work better in light air than sunbrella. Mike Pajewski H26 "Loon"

B

Bob J.

UV Protection

Check with Sail Care in Ford City, PA. I've used their services and they are very receptive and professional. Bob J "Memory"

G

Greg Cunningham

Could have been treated with 303 UV protectant

The sail might be been protected with a UV spray on protectant. There is version of 303 spray that can be used on dacron or monofilm. You can get it at SailRite.com, Westmarine and others. I used it on my sail last season when the cover that we had been using blew apart in a storm. Long term I would probably recomend putting UV insigna cloth on. SailRite sells kits to do this yourself using a self adhesive insignia cloth that include most materials needed. You might have to hand stitch the area around the head, tack, and clew because, but the rest can be done with a standard sewing machine An alternative, if you don't want the weight of the UV cloth on your sail, is to use a sock. You have to have a free halyard to haul it. If the furler is CDI, then you jib halyard is free for this purpose. I would recomend using one with a zipper. We had one with twist locks, and it didn't hold up well in storms. Which leads back to why I was using the 303 UV protectant. Good luck -- Greg Sparetime

R

Ron Mehringer

Thanks all. Plus, question for Greg

Thanks to all for the input. I'll take a closer look at my sail before making a decision. Greg, where do you get these jib socks and are they usually more or less money than having UV fabric applied? Regards, Ron Mehringer H26 Hydro-Therapy

G

Greg Cunningham

Reply to question from Ron

Probably any sail maker or canvas shop would make you one. SailRite sells a kit for this too (http://ecomm.fwi.com/fwistore/showdetl.cfm?&DID=16&Product_ID=94&CATID=4) at 3.00 a foot. You probably have about 25 feet of head stay, so it does add up. The sewing is simpler, so having a canvas maker or sail maker do one should be less expensive than a full conversion. Its a tough decission. I know because I havn't made my mind up what I am going to do for this season yet :) Greg Cunningham Spartime

R

Ron Mehringer

Yup. It has WHITE UV cloth on it.

Thanks to the suggestion I got here, I checked my jib before sending it out. Sure enough, it has white cloth on the leech and foot for UV protection when furled. Thanks a lot! Ron Mehringer H26 Hydro-Therapy

G

Gerard

don't make the same mistake I made

Ron- We have something in common. We also bought a Hunter 26 in the Fall and have yet to sail it. We travelled 700 miles to find Crazy Dave. Good luck with yours. When you wrap your jib for the first time this year, make sure the drum on your furler and the sail are in sync so that the uv cover is on the outside. It can be hard to miss since it's white. I did it with our first white genny cover. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.