USING UP AN OLD RACOR FILTER

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
As I removed a perfectly good Racor Fuel/Water Separator Filter and replaced it with the two R12T units, I created my own fuel cleaning process. I've actually run 19 gallons of fuel through it, got a lot of crap and water separated. I finally found use for the old machine I've had stored in my workshop.
IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3104.JPG

Oh and yes, I know I'm using the wrong tank for diesel, but its out of necessity. It's labeled as diesel on the other side. Once the fuel is back in the tank, the label will come off.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I made the same system with an old filter. Works great. You can also use it to pump out your tank to clean it by connecting to your batteries on the boat. I added a switch to the rig so I can turn it on and off easily. I also run all new fuel I buy in jugs through the filter to make sure it is clean going into the tank. Nice job Robert! I like your power supply, instead of using a battery in the garage that is a nice convenience.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
This is one of the reasons that I keep my diesel tank as full as possible. The moisture in humid air will condense when it comes in contact with the cool aluminum wall of the tank. Any fuel in the tank can keep the aluminum cooler then the surrounding air. Once the condensate touches the fuel, it becomes trapped in the tank and leads to bacterial and fungal growth. Water in the tank also leads to corrosion and leaks in the tank.

I top the tank up before I haul the boat before winter, and as soon as the boat is hauled, I seal the tank vent with blue painter's tape.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
A tip I got from Practical Sailor was to add a fuel vent desiccant filter. I installed the recommended H2Out
H2O_Out install.jpg