Using an Arch to Lift an An Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2009
Beneteau 49 Atlantic City, NJ
I am looking for some ideas on how to easily slide the lifting tackle used to lift an outboard using one of the tubes on an arch. I have attached the lifting tackle to one of the horizontal pipes on the arch and I want to be able to slide the lifting tackle on the arch pipe. The lifting tackle is slid out to position over top of the outboard and then slid back towards the boat to lower the outboard on the bracket on the stern rail. I tried making a loop out of webbing, but once the weight of the engine is on the webbing, it is difficult to slide the engine. I tried waxing the pipe to make it slide more easily but it did not help much.

George

Aug 3, 2010
Hunter 326 Charleston SC
If you increase the size of your clamp on the horizontal member by 1/4" you can then use a piece of pvc as a bushing and it will slide much easier. :dance:

Mar 3, 2009
I was thinking of a soft shackle but a piece of PVC sounds like it would work. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
Using an Arch to Lift an Outboard

Please explain the use of the word 'ARCH' in the mechanics and operation of a lift for an outboard on a sailboat. Sounds like a good idea. Could someone provide a drawing, pictures or a manufacturer of such an item on this post? Or there maybe an existing post in the archives on this subject. Good Luck George.

David S

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How 'bout parrel beads?
But not when you're rockin'. ;)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2006
oday 22 on trailer Asheville NC
I did a AVG Secure Search for "Garhauer motor davit" and "C-Level Motor Mate Crane" and was very informative for me except I may have missed how it is secured to the boat. I would be interested in a home design with a hand crank wench that would be suitable for my O'day 22.

David S

Mar 3, 2009
Please explain the use of the word 'ARCH' in the mechanics and operation of a lift for an outboard on a sailboat. Sounds like a good idea. Could someone provide a drawing, pictures or a manufacturer of such an item on this post? Or there maybe an existing post in the archives on this subject. Good Luck George.

David S
The arch is made by Kato Marine.

Mar 3, 2009
How 'bout parrel beads?
But not when you're rockin'. ;)
The pipe is 1 1/2" in diameter so I would not be able to get too many beads on the line. I don't know if they would be able to rotate but it is a thought. Thanks.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
How much room is there between the arch and the rigging/strapping on the outboard? Is there room for two sets of block-and-fall arrangements? Lifting with one while lowering the other, known as drifting, is one way to transfer the load laterally, and is done all the time to bring loads in through openings in the side of buildings, among other applications. I do something like that to transfer heavy loads to my work bench, as I don't have a beam trolley there.

Just a thought.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
You guys must like to motor around a lot. I find that I can usually anchor within a mile of the place I want to take the dingy. With my (gasp, the horror) almost 8 lb oars I can get there in less than 15 minutes with the Admiral and baggage. They don't require zincs, fuel, massive amounts of muscle to stow....... and can be used as an anti-boarding tool if need be. They work an any depth the dingy will float in so gunkholing is a dream and they don't disturb the wildlife.
My 5' nothing, 120 lb first mate can handle them with one hand!!!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
The pipe is 1 1/2" in diameter so I would not be able to get too many beads on the line. I don't know if they would be able to rotate but it is a thought. Thanks.
Think small, 3/4 to 1 inch beads...

Status
Not open for further replies.