Using a Cat27 mast on a Cat25

Jun 10, 2019
Catalina 30 Stratford, CT
Hello all!

My current catalina 25 mast has a dent just below where the starboard upper shroud connects. I have sailed in heavy wind consistently for 2 summers but would still like a rig I am more confident in.

I have acquired a cat 27 mast from my boatyard and my plan was to cut the bottom of the mast to the same height as my stock cat 25 mast. I have no yet taken specific measurements of either mast, but would it be at all likely that I will be able to use my current cat-25 rigging (which is in good condition) and use it with the cat-27 mast once it is cut to the same height?

Is it safe to assume that the spreader height/width, etc is different than my current mast and therefore make using the same standing rigging not a possibility?

Any advice or ideas on this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Some general thoughts.

The position (height) of spreaders is calculated to manage the loads on the mast panels (spans between support). While the math is straightforward its best done by someone that understands it.

The length of the spreaders needs to match the mast-chainplate distance. As this distance will be shorter on the 25 the 27 spreaders will be OK when cut.

The 27 used a HUGE mast section. It will weigh much more that the 25 mast, and you will feel that effect.