Used sail?

Aug 15, 2022
Catalina 22 14790 Redwood City, CA
Id like to try out a hank on sail setup the next time I bring the mast down. Looking for a used 110 working jib hank on to see how I like it. Ill rig up a downhaul at the same time. Anybody have a website ect. that they've used to get some decent stuff. Ill obviously buy a whole new sail locker of hank ons if I like it but don't want to commit to new until I try it out. Ive checked Ebay but no luck so far, and the gear page here under the classifieds is not very straight forward to me to be able to search. Thanks

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Id like to try out a hank on sail setup the next time I bring the mast down. Looking for a used 110 working jib hank on to see how I like it. Ill rig up a downhaul at the same time. Anybody have a website ect. that they've used to get some decent stuff. Ill obviously buy a whole new sail locker of hank ons if I like it but don't want to commit to new until I try it out. Ive checked Ebay but no luck so far, and the gear page here under the classifieds is not very straight forward to me to be able to search. Thanks

Just borrow one. There are tons of C22s out there and I am sure you could borrow one for a time from someone local. Otherwise look to a local sailing club and ask a racer for an old sail.

Why the try it out side? are you going form a furler to hanks or something?

Aug 15, 2022
Just borrow one. There are tons of C22s out there and I am sure you could borrow one for a time from someone local. Otherwise look to a local sailing club and ask a racer for an old sail.

Why the try it out side? are you going form a furler to hanks or something?

I currently have a 135 on a furler but I want to try the hank on variations to see how it goes. Im in the SF bay and very rarely can I have the 135 fully deployed. Ill ask around. Thanks

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I currently have a 135 on a furler but I want to try the hank on variations to see how it goes. Im in the SF bay and very rarely can I have the 135 fully deployed. Ill ask around. Thanks
I have a 105% that I believe was off a J22 or something like that. I would look for some other similar sized boats and borrow one of their smaller sails. If you like the hanks then you can order the size you would like. That being said if your struggling to keep the boat flat with a 135% you may want to check the rig tune a bit. The stock C22 sail was a 110% which most will use in winds over about 18 steady. Some racers will fly a 150 up to about 20 or so. As the wind increases the backstay tension needs to increase as well depowering the headsail. Take the wrinkles out of the luff and flatten it like a blade. Pinch to spill off excess air if in a wing keel.

Aug 15, 2022
I have a 105% that I believe was off a J22 or something like that. I would look for some other similar sized boats and borrow one of their smaller sails. If you like the hanks then you can order the size you would like. That being said if your struggling to keep the boat flat with a 135% you may want to check the rig tune a bit. The stock C22 sail was a 110% which most will use in winds over about 18 steady. Some racers will fly a 150 up to about 20 or so. As the wind increases the backstay tension needs to increase as well depowering the headsail. Take the wrinkles out of the luff and flatten it like a blade. Pinch to spill off excess air if in a wing keel.

Thank you for the tips. it is regularly over 20+ knots here in SF bay and it just feels like my headsail is oversized for these conditions. When I reef to approx a 110 it seems much better. So I thought I would try just a 110 and see if that would be better with optimal sail shape.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Above 20kts, I'd be flying a 75 jib if I had a choice. Dang sure not a 135. I like it when the stick-thingy points basically upward. ;)

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Above 20kts, I'd be flying a 75 jib if I had a choice. Dang sure not a 135. I like it when the stick-thingy points basically upward. ;)
What you dont like the instant cabin reorganization? I generally fly the 150 until somewhere around the 18mph or so. Beyond that I start taking too many waves over the bow to be much fun. I then step down to about a 105 that is from another boat and sail that one easily up to about 28mph. once I get above there I generally decide if im gonna reef or motor back in.

Case in point on Lake Superior a couple weeks back it was blowing a small craft advisory with about 4-5 foot waves with some steeper sets (fresh water so its more irregular than the ocean swells typically). We were making great headway with a 135 and full main beating to windward at 6-7 kts. I was loving it but the crew was less than comfortable to we decided to bear away and find a closer anchorage for the night.