Used boat help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob393

Dec 26, 2008
SailCat 14 Newburgh
Hi;
I know this type of questions get flogged to death so please don't beat me up to bad.
I'm looking at a handyman special 1968
24 foot Sailstar Corsair, or it could be a Bristol Corsair, or perhaps a Bristol 24. It's part of an estate sale and has been on the hard for at least four years and the broker has no idea when it was last sailed.
Anyway are there any known
specific problem areas on this boat I need to look at? I know these are built like the proverbial brick s**t houses but all things get old and this is real old.
At this point I've only walked around the boat and I'm at the yup it's there point
This may even be a silly question, at this age perhaps I should be considering it a bare hull?
Any thoughts, you guys know better than I do.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Newburgh Bob,
I will do my best not to flog you on this one. In fact I own a Tartan 27' from 1967 which came to me in good working order. Yes, boats from that era were built quite strongly in the hull and standing rigging etc. Boats that have been neglected as yours sounds like it has can be a money pit. The Bristol 24' is a very pretty boat so I would advise that you look at it long and hard before committing to something that could take years to make seaworthy (or river worthy).
Most here will tell you that they should pay you to take this boat off their hands and to justify a low ball price you really need to get into the boat and look inside and look for standing water, an engine, sails, masts, boom, spars - the whole deal. Does it come with a trailer? What is broken and what works? Obviously the whole thing needs cleaning. Replacing stuff on an older boat can cost you a lot if it is missing any of its required parts. I would only say go for it if there were no red flags like blisters on the hull, missing spars, broken rudder/centerboard. Toilet or head?
I personally like old boats but I would encourage you to not pay a lot (or for that matter anything) for such a boat if it is in bad condition as the estate will most likely be left with the cost of disposing of the vessel if no one wants to purchase it which could run as high as $1K. If you can get it for less and the boat and it's systems are not too run down you might just have your work cut out for you but end up having a nice old classic plastic sailboat.
We keep our T 27' in Nyack, NY. Are you in Newburgh, NY? I could come up and take a look at it with you and offer my opinions if that worked out.

bob393

Dec 26, 2008
SailCat 14 Newburgh
Thank you,
I'm actually in Goshen the boat is in Newburgh, NY. I have yet to set anything up with the broker but he tells me that its available to look at any work day during working hours, just bring a latter to gain access to the deck and interior. It looks to me that the boat was stored there and just abandoned. You are right these old Bristols are the prittyest looking boats I have seen. This one has no trailer, no cradle, and I assume the stands don't go with it. After looking at trailer and cradle prices there a major investment in themselves.
Thank you for the offer to look at it with me. I may take you up on it if I decide to move forward with the deal.

Dec 26, 2008
Bristol 30 Long Island Sound
Hi,
I owned a Bristol 24 for about 8 years. Mine too, had sat in a yard for several years. The outboard was shot, and the boat needed a lot of work. But most of the work was something I could do myself without spending a lot of money. I had to buy a used outboard, a few rigging related items, a new tiller, rewire some items, replace the seacocks etc. The rest of the work was mostly painting and varnishing etc. The sails were not great, but they were certainly usable. I paid $900 for the boat.
Some common problems I have seen with old Bristol 24s:
-water starts getting in the keel and then freezes during the winter.
- the outboard well contains some glassed over wood that rots.
- like many older boats, the decks may be soft.
-after 40 years, the rubrail is often in poor shape, and replacing it can be expensive.
- neglected, abandoned, or donated boats often are missing parts. Booms, turnbuckles, blocks, hardware etc, are often stolen from the boat. If someone needs an anchor or a teak handrail, they often "borrow" one from the abandoned boat behind the shed. An item or two missing is one thing, but costs can add up fast.

If you want, maybe you can email or post some pictures for me to look over, after the two of you inspect it.
GOOD LUCK

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
Check the main bulkhead where the chainplates attach inside the cabin. if they have been leaking, the wood may be shot. Also, look at the fiberglass arch above the bulkhead. Look for stress cracks that may be evidence of a rotted mast support strongback beam. In my opinion, a couple of soft spots on the deck, are not a deal killer. my Bristol 24 has a soft spot on the foredeck that hasn.t spread or caused any problems for me. Check the keel for cracks that may indicate water intrusion. Some of the earlier models had concrete ballast, and some had problems with water getting in. You can expect to find the thru hulls frozen, but I was able to un-stick all mine, and re-condition them.

If the boat is solid, and has all the parts, it is certainly worth some time and money to get it sailing again. In good condition, the Bristol 24 can handle lots of wind and waves. They sail very well for their size. You might want to look on E-**Y right now. There are 3 B24's for sale there.

Status
Not open for further replies.