USA Hunter Day Sailor Association !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
A few years ago, a hand full of H-170's owners got together and form the Hunter Daysailors Association of Southern California (H.D.A.S.C.) Now if other owners could get together and form other Hunter Day sailors Association in other states, perhaps we could form a USA Hunter Day Sailors Association where by all states would be "chapters" of the USA Hunter Day Sailors Association. Just think of the possibilities, we could have one or two regattas a year held at different states. States associations could invite neighboring states to their events. There are several other small boat sailing association out there who trailer their boats to different sailing locations and have a large turn out, Perhaps we could do the same !

J

john

I'm in Michigan

I am willing to trailer anywhere in the lower peninsula to meet up with someone. Of course -WHEN is the big question, I am amazed how busy my summer schedule is already! The furthest I have trailered my boat is to Baraga County / Keewenaw Peninsula (about ten hours from home) some really nice small lakes in the UP - and the big lake they call Gitchigumi (which I looked at and swam in, too much wind for sailing). There are several lakes in the Battle Creek to Kalamazoo corridor that I would like to explore, and when we camped at Muskegon Lake last summer I wished I had my boat - so I would be willing to do that again as well. Give a yell, John Kivel

Navio

Jun 23, 2007
- - MI
MI sailing

Hello. We are new 170 owners. Have had lessons, but no real independent experience. Live in Troy. The boat has been sailed at Stoney Creek. We intend to take it to Hamlin Lake in Ludington alot this summer. The previous owners had alot of fun with it at Lake Charlevoix. Once we feel more experienced, we may venture onto Lake Michigan, Lake St. Claire, or near Port Huron. I can say that that the big lakes probably won't be untill next year. Would like to hear from you - I have lots of questions, and would welcome the opportunity to sail with someone with experience on this particular boat. I went once with my brother on a power-boat trip on Gull Lake near Kalamazoo - that seems like it would be a good spot. One question I have, as our boat is new to us and needs a few things - what type of fenders do you use? I have a 14 ft. power boat with many more connection points. I am wondering what type to purchase, and at what points are best for attachment. This boat will mostly be trailored an used in transient slips/dock.

J

john

fenders and stuff

I don't know about kinds of fenders, I just bought cheap ones at Dunhams or Meijer or something, They are cylindrical, and inflatable, thought I have never adjusted the air pressure in them. I usually hang one over the cleat at the stern and one off the deck plate where the shrouds attach. The real trick is adjusting the length where they hang down. I guess nice long fenders would be better. I have seen people hang life jackets off the side -I guess that would work too. You can't really launch in Port Huron (that's where I grew up). If you launch at the black river marina you will be motoring for an hour before you can raise sail - that's assuming you have an outboard that can get you past the current under the Blue Water Bridge! You used to be able to launch at Lakeport State Park, but I don't think that ramp is there anymore. Port Sanilac is a better bet. I guess I have learned the hard way what other people have posted in this forum, you really have to pick your days to go out on the Great Lakes, when the 40' yachts are having fun, you should probably stay on the shore. When the big boys are wishing there was wind, there is probably plenty for you. I have thought about Gull lake, and some of the larger inland lakes up north (like Lake charlivoix) would love to try any of those, I have also thought about Anchor Bay on Lake St. Clair. john

J

Jeff

Mi Sailing

I have sailed Lake Michigan in the 170. The days that are safe for us on that lake are few. Please bear in mind that the weather on Lake Mich can change in a flash and if you are a mile or more off the coast, you could be in deep. It is not like the ocean where the changes in weather can be more predictable. I prefer to stick to the 36 footer. More often than not, you will find my boat on Diamond Lake in Cassopolis, just below Kalamazoo about 20 miles north of the Indiana Border. This Summer, I will be making a trip to Higgins Lake for a week. I grew up there. I have also sailed Torch Lake and a few others toward the northern part of the Lower Peninsula.

Tereza

Jun 10, 2005
Hunter 146 Candlewood Lake, CT
Not many small Hunters on the lake.

Glenn, we've talked about this. There seem to be only 2 small Hunters on Lake Candlewood, or maybe 3, but I contacted one of them and they told me they got rid of that deathtrap as it was the most dangerous and frightening sailing of his life! There's only 1 large sail club on my Lake, and it's too far from me to really make sense, though I keep wanting to look into it. If anyone else here is in the western Connectivut area, and would want to start such a club, speak up! If I got really motivated, I would get my boat out of it's slip and onto it's trailer occasionally for a foray on Long Island Sound!

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Perkos connectors!

Navio, I mounted two "Perkos" fender conectors to both side of my H-170 where I attach my "flat" fenders. the Perkos are held in place with two small stainless steel screws. not exspensive and easy to do. I have pictures of the "Perkos" if you would like to see how they mount. Send me an e-mail so I can send them to you. Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.