Upper Rudder Post Bearing/Bushing Replacement

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
The upper bearing/bushing located just under the seat that supports the end of the rudder post is pretty loose. It’s made of teak or mahogany and is attached to the underside of the seating surface. I plan on replacing it with the rudder in place by cutting it out and replacing with a two piece design glueed and screwed together. I’m looking for input on experiences doing so. Specifically the designed clearance between the post and the bearing surface. It’s fairly elongated right now allowing some lateral movement of the post under steerage with higher winds. Access is pretty good from the quarter birth side by removing the rear bullhead.
It seams to be pretty straight forward unless I’m missing something;
- cut out the old
- using the right size hole saw, cut a hole in a similar size piece of appropriate wood and split lengthwise. This gives larger glue surfaces and puts the joint at the stronger axis of the wood.
- place on the post and glue, screw and clamp.
-secure to the bottom of the seat surface.
Ill have to take some time making sure it aligned properly but being that it is a sketchy hung rudder and the bearing it at the very opposite end of the post with the skeg and glad pack, it should align automatically.

Thought?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Sounds like a good plan, my only recommendation would be to split the wood first, clamp it back together and then cut the hole - splitting it after the hole is made will reduce each half by half of the saw's kerf. I'm assuming you meant the split will be perpendicular to the hole.

Dec 28, 2015
Sounds like a good plan, my only recommendation would be to split the wood first, clamp it back together and then cut the hole - splitting it after the hole is made will reduce each half by half of the saw's kerf. I'm assuming you meant the split will be perpendicular to the hole.
I'll be using my bandsaw so the kerf will be less than 1/32" so there shouldn't be any issues there. I assume there is a designed clearance between the post and bearing/bushing so the hole will be a little oversized, to begin with. The current board in there is about 6 inches by 12 and 2 inches thick. I'll be ripping it (cutting lengthwise)

I might make two of them and orientate the seam 90 degrees from each other, install it onto the post then glue them together then secure it.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Do the Churibini years have a grease zerk in the fiberglass tube between the hull and the packing gland? I got back there and poked around and there is a glob of rusted metal on the side of the tube. I think I remember reading somewhere regarding something like this but I'm not sure if it was a hunter thing. The wood bushing actually looks really good from the bottom. About a 6x10x2 piece of mahogany. I kept hearing chattering when stearing in following seas and I think what I might have been hearing is the exhaust hose loop rubbing on the post. I can make the rudder lift about 1/4 inch then it bottoms out on the bottom of the boat. I'm not sure if I'm going to change the bushing now.