Upgrades to a Macgregor26M factory made aluminium trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr9999

Oct 27, 2011
Macgregor 26 Sydney
I am researching the possible purchase of a late model Macgregor26M with factory made aluminium trailer and seek feedback on recommended upgrades to that trailer.

Internet research by me indicates that a number of owners of a Mac26M with factory made aluminium trailers recommend either upgrading or replacing the original trailer.

One possible upgrade that has been mentioned is adding a second axle/wheel/brake unit to the original trailer. Hopefully a complete unit could be obtained from Macgregor direct or through a Mac26M dealer or perhaps sourced from the original unit supplier. This obviously would require moving the original axle/wheel/brake unit forward on the trailer & mounting the second unit so that the original unit position is centred between the the first & second units. Other related mods include connecting up the second brake set hydraulics & possibly installing a dual braking system.

Another possible modification that occurs to me would be to install additional heavy gauge square section aluminium tubes across the trailer forward of the dual axles to further stiffen the trailer.

Does anybody have any comments/experience about the benefits of stainless steel disc brakes verses the factory disc brake units?

Are there any other mods that you would recommend to upgrade/improve the standard Macgregor26M aluminium trailer?

Thank you for your assistance with this request.

Status
Not open for further replies.