Updating Interior w LED

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Have an '89 C30. Cabin lights are square plastic boxes with traditional lights. what have folks done to update to LED? would like to do more than just change bulbs. Thx

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My go to site for marine LED fixtures is MarineBeam.com.
I used this 6.75" Light for the two main cabin lights and this 5.5" Light for the head, v-berth and quarter berth lights. I chose the switchable red/warm white option. Much nicer than those square white boxes but they are bit pricey. I like the brass look.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Same here. Installing Marinebeam lights in the interior this year.

I understand that they have figured out how to protect your radio transmissions from EMF interference associated with LED lights. I’ll be putting them to the test this season.

Sep 1, 2014
Thanks all for the helpful responses. Will order one from marine beacon and see if it's bright enough - before I splurge for the entire sole ;) Unfortunately they're out of stock on the stainless steel model presently.

Appreciate the help - and as they say, "no good deed goes unpunished", I have a LOT of questions to post about the "new to me" Cat 30.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Our previous boat was a C30. I always thought the interior lighting was sparse. We sold the boat with the project still in planning. I was in the final planning stages of adding two 1x3 plastic lumber runners from the companionway to the forward bulkhead on each side of the companionway and using the 1x3 to hold the recessed lights. The last unresolved issue was routing the wires forward, thru the bump on the ceiling next to the bulkhead, and to a power source.

Sep 1, 2014
Our previous boat was a C30. I always thought the interior lighting was sparse. We sold the boat with the project still in planning. I was in the final planning stages of adding two 1x3 plastic lumber runners from the companionway to the forward bulkhead on each side of the companionway and using the 1x3 to hold the recessed lights. The last unresolved issue was routing the wires forward, thru the bump on the ceiling next to the bulkhead, and to a power source.
Ritsim: Glad you sent this - reminded me; I have a newer Promaster van, and it came with strips of LED lighting in the cargo area, all on one switch. Lights up the van incredibly! Strips are small, but long (48"), and hardly seen.
I think instead of spending $400 on single lights throughout - a few strips, each individually switched makes more sense for me. Light on one side for reading, two in v-berth, etc.

Dec 1, 2021
Catalina 30 Lake Murray
Have an '89 C30. Cabin lights are square plastic boxes with traditional lights. what have folks done to update to LED? would like to do more than just change bulbs. Thx
Today I replaced every light bulb in my 86 C30 and added 4 new 12" LED fixtures for $40 from Amazon. Also added a Portside rear berth LED. Will use old fixtures to add some lights in the engine compartments,and the lazarette So I can work without having to hold a flashlight.
Captain Red
Island Time
1986 Mk 1 Tall Rig

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I support SBO when they have what I need. I went with MarineBeam LEDs that toggle between red and white for my main cabin lights. Reading lamps are white LED.

Dec 1, 2021
Catalina 30 Lake Murray
I had already bought everything before I found this forum.
Just picked up the C30 on Christmas Day. My Olson 29 in the front driveway is feeling left out. All the original fixtures had been replaced except 2, Round 6" lights with stainless base.
Previous owner replaced the entire electrical system 5 years ago, even to the panel. Ouch, Glad it wa$ not me paying the bill.

Mine are not Marine Bulbs, but they are water resistant, a quick conversion allowing me to keep the existing updated fixtures. The two fixtures that I did replace were oxidized or ugly and will be remounted in places that need light occasionally. In the engine compartment and under the sink.
Just doing the bulbs was cost effective, I just wrote the big boat check a couple weeks ago.
While winter is here I'm working on adding a swim platform, and a smaller Destroyer wheel so I don't whack my knee on the 28" wheel trying to get past it every single time on the Mark 1.
14" Martec Folding prop has been ordered, will wait until Spring to install that.

Captain Red
Island Time
1986 Mk 1 Tall Rig

Columbia Sailing Club
Lake Murray, SC

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
I replaced all the lights in my 87 MKII with LEDs a few years ago, it really cuts down on the power used and reduced the heat put out by the old lights (I kept the old fixtures), the reduced heat helps on summer nights.

Last year I add an LED strip to the salon/galley area and man it looks nice and when turn up it really brightens up the inside of the boat. I bought it originally to put in our kitchen (under cabinets), but after thinking about it I decided to put in the boat. I cut the string in half and bought a second dimmer so I could control each side of the salon. I mounted the the strips right behind the teak trim that runs from bulk head to bulk head on the sides where the ceiling and sides met (above the port lights). You can't see the lights unless you are sitting beneath it and looking up. I am thing about adding another one to the quarter berth (if I can find a hind away place to mount it).

Below is what I bought from Amazon for about $18.

JUNWEN Waterproof LED Strip Light Kit, Dimmable Warm White Rope Lights,16.4 FT/5M Tape Lights 300 Units SMD 2835 12V LED Ribbon