UPDATE To Where The Routes Went

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Pilolla

Thanks for the feedback. According to Raymarine, the new Raytheon for marine products, the chartplotter should hold up to 20 routes and each route is capable of holding up to 50 waypoints. That's a total capacity of 1000 waypoints. Unfortunately, there is a serious limitation in the system due to the speed of SeaTalk. Their proprietary language is supposed to work at 9600 baud and should be ample if everything except the master unit is listening and only the master is talking. With the ST80 system every single unit on SeaTalk both listens and talks. So on Carolina it's like having 8 people trying to talk and listen at the same time. Everybody gets a brief period of time in which to say what they have to say and then, if you don't finish what you were saying in your allotted time, you have to start over from the beginning the next time around. The allotted time period you have, and I don't know how that's determined yet, doesn't change so you never get to finish the entire sentence. Translation, with more than 18 waypoints in a route, the route will never get displayed on the system, even though it is present in the software. If it doesn't get displayed on the chartplotter, the chartplotter never captures the route in it's own memory. Talk about frustrating!! I spent 3 days, a total of 7 or 8 hours on the phone with the folks a Raymarine. They are still trying to help with this. I've emailed them a copy of the data file created in the software to store the waypoints and routes and they are going to recreate the same configuration and try to debug it there. I walked the guys through what I was doing and they duplicated what I had on my system pretty closely. Then they tried setting up a long route several times and they did have the same results. At least I know it's not my thick skull that's the problem. If anyone out there knows "bitspeak" maybe they can offer a suggestion of how they worked around the problem. For the interim, I've just made a lot of shorter routes. Based on the new math though, I can never have more than 360 waypoints on my system. What's that, 37% of what Raymarine claims is the capacity. Any comments, thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Mike Pilolla s/v Carolina

G

Gorodn Myers

Mike - Two questions ???

1st - If you had ST-60 instruments in stead of the ST-80 instruments, would this make a difference? 2nd - If you were using the chart plotter ONLY (not connected to the notebook computer) could you get the 1,000 way points ?

Status
Not open for further replies.