Unusual Force 8 in Long Beach Harbor

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This afternoon in San Pedro Bay & Long Beach Harbor we experienced some mighty sea wind arriving from the west, probably Force 8. A bit unusual.

Looking west from the Seal Beach Pier around 1630. Very windy. The seas are larger than they appear looking down from the Pier, but the federal breakwater in the distance at left shelters the harbor from this kind of stuff. The close breakwater at right protects the channel leading into Alamitos Bay.
Long Beach Harbor looking west.jpg

Looking SE as they go by! The breakwater protects the channel leading into Anaheim Bay. The inshore platform (left) is about 8.5 n.mi. distant.
Looking SE.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Went down and doubled up my docklines, many headsails sacrificed on the altar of poorly secured furlers, threw an extra "Brake" on mine with 1" nylon webbing.
Yeah. I had just gone from checking on mine out onto the pier. Fewer than half a dozen folks out there. A lot of clanging along the dock, but no loose sails that I saw.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
We got the nasties down here in Oceanside today. Not sure what the wind speed was, but my Marina sent out advanced notice to check on your boat. Couldn't get there today. If anything, I am sure my solar panel is probably no more. :(

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The joys and pleasure of living on the left coast, and according to meteorologists, there's more fun to come.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
In my Sailing area, San Francisco bay, 30+ knot wind is not unusual in late afternoon. I have had to deal with 46 knot wind near Alkatraz island in the summer afternoon. Waves are no more than 6 feet in the Bay.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Los Angeles Light (Angel's Gate) was recording 40 kt. gusts around 4 pm yesterday.

By the way: Exactly one week ago I was at Cat Harbor when the Santa Ana blew threw. Lots of wind but protected from the seas. I'd estimate that some of the gusts were in the low-40's as well.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
In my Sailing area, San Francisco bay, 30+ knot wind is not unusual in late afternoon. I have had to deal with 46 knot wind near Alkatraz island in the summer afternoon. Waves are no more than 6 feet in the Bay.
Our “regular” winds are typically below 25-27 kt. Near Palos Verde Peninsula (Angel’s Gate) on summer afternoons it sometimes pushes 30, but generally below. Get six miles away and it’s maybe 15 -20. Those strong winds of yesterday all along the Southern California coast are not typical, as I noted.