Unknown battery post part

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sorry can't tell from the picture. Perhaps if you remove it, clean it and look for any markings either painted on the body or stamped in the metal you could best identify what it is. Fuses will have a rating in amps stamped somewhere.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Does anyone know what the piece in the red highlighted circle is? It’s between the positive battery cable and post. It looks like an industrial fuse.
Could be a fuse. As @Benny17441 suggested removing it and cleaning it up would be a good idea.

While you're at it, some of that wiring looks like it needs some attention. Especially the yellow wires. Yellow is the new black in ABYC wiring standards. So it should not be used on positive lines. Also the little wire coming off the battery post is crimped into a 10-12 ga terminal, not a good solution.

Fusing at the battery terminal is a good idea, protects everything down stream. Blue Sea makes a nice battery fuse terminal. Comes in single and double fuses. https://www.bluesea.com/products/5191/MRBF_Terminal_Fuse_Block_-_30_to_300A

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
looks like a strap loop to use to carry the battery (flat removable strap)

Sep 27, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Alameda
Thx All. I think it is a fuse. I plan on removing it and seeing if it has any markings. Also plan on cleaning up the wiring. I’m just planning my steps as I dig in. Found some cool products from Blue Sea. One is inline battery fuse. (That’s gotta be what I’m replacing) The other is a battery terminal bar. Both should clean things up nicely.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Looks like you have 2. batteries in your photo, and not hooked up. the the ground on the left battery is not connected to anything, and the positive on the right is not connected. The white object on the positive side of the left battery may be a fuse.
Otherwise, the right side battery has a ground wire hooked up to the positive terminal. In any event, that wiring needs to be sorted out...

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Looks like you have 2. batteries in your photo, and not hooked up. the the ground on the left battery is not connected to anything, and the positive on the right is not connected. The white object on the positive side of the left battery may be a fuse.
Otherwise, the right side battery has a ground wire hooked up to the positive terminal. In any event, that wiring needs to be sorted out...
Not my batteries but they are two 6 volt batteries, just missing the connection cable from the left neg to the right positive.

Found some cool products from Blue Sea. One is inline battery fuse. (That’s gotta be what I’m replacing) The other is a battery terminal bar. Both should clean things up nicely.
Sounds like you have a good plan. A positive busbar and negative busbar simplifies and cleans up wiring. Those MRBF (marine rated battery fuses) are a good solution for fusing battery cables.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Does anyone know what the piece in the red highlighted circle is? It’s between the positive battery cable and post. It looks like an industrial fuse.
Reminds me of those ferrite things on some power supply cords. Maybe one big one serves the entire boat? My 2 cents.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Joe sounds like you are on the right path to clean things up. Keep us informed. The picture was a great idea. Any questions are always supported.

Check out MaineSails stuff on this forum. It is a wealth of info all electric plus.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Those should be ny-lock nuts on those battery post.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Those should be ny-lock nuts on those battery post.
And the negative terminal is stacked incorrectly. The cable with the largest draw goes on the bottom. The terminal block should be on top of the negative cable.

[Edit] Just noticed the small red wire on the positive terminal. The ring terminal on that small red wire is probably too large. Yellow wire terminals are for 10-12 gauge wire. That wire looks to be 18 or 22 ga and should have a red/pink terminal. 14- 16 gauge wires should have blue terminals. The crimp will be weak because of the size difference.

Sep 27, 2006
Pearson 36-2 Alameda
Thx. I didn’t change the large connector on the small red wire since its a sensor wire and it feels like the sensor might be built into the connector. The connector looks potted like there’s something else in there.