Universal m-18 won’t start sometimes

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Have you removed, cleaned and tighten all cables from battery to starter including the negative side?

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
I am not sure at what point your fuel pump turns on. On my Universal, it comes on with key on. The point is that you should be able to hear it at some point before you hit the starter I would think. It may take two people, one at the console and one near the pump to verify it is ticking, and while that person is near the pump, he/she should check for lose/corroded connections. On the O'Day 28 they mounted the pump to the wooden frame for the fuel tank and the ground connection to one of the mounting screws, a very shoddy setup to say the least. After two separate loose ground connection issues, I did a rebuild of the mounting.

Jan 19, 2019
Catalina 27 Vancouver
Just
I am not sure at what point your fuel pump turns on. On my Universal, it comes on with key on. The point is that you should be able to hear it at some point before you hit the starter I would think. It may take two people, one at the console and one near the pump to verify it is ticking, and while that person is near the pump, he/she should check for lose/corroded connections. On the O'Day 28 they mounted the pump to the wooden frame for the fuel tank and the ground connection to one of the mounting screws, a very shoddy setup to say the least. After two separate loose ground connection issues, I did a rebuild of the mounting.
When I turn the key the fuel pump clicks so it appears like it’s working so I guess that’s not my issue

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If all you get is a click when trying to start it suggests insufficient voltage to crank the starter. The clicking is the solenoid activating which connects the high amperage starter circuit. The contacts might be corroded on your starter connections or the contacts inside the solenoid might be shot. Start with cleaning the electrical connection at the battery and starter.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
On mine, healthy is a series of fast clicking sounds like a loud ticking watch.
That clicking is probably your electric fuel pump it clicks quickly until the system develops pressure then settles down to a lower frequency clicking. The fuel pump comes on when you energize the circuit but before you hit the glow plug and starter switches. The pump keeps running and clicking after the motor starts. The starter not turning the engine over is a different issue, if your car battery ever ran down and didn't have the juice to turn over your car you get a click of the solenoid energizing but not enough voltage and current to turn over the motor by the starter motor. That sounds more like what the OP was noting. Sometimes the battery is bad but sometimes bad contacts at the connections will cause the same problem.