Universal M-18 Fuel Bleeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

New owner of a 1986 Catalina 27 with a Universal M18. Just reading up on the boat system (it's snowing outside, blah). To bleed the fuel system, am I correct that you: 1-twist the vent screw on top of the fuel filter until the fuel stops bubbling 2-close 3-turn the fuel vent plug near the injector, pull the stop knob, crank engine for 10sec or so until the fuel comes out without bubbles 4- close 5-hopefully start Next: newbie question: is the diesel fuel sold at gas stations for cars #2 Diesel? Next: Should the oil, trans, and coolant be changed again (it was in the fall) after winter storage. Next: Anybody found a flapper for the exhaust that works (by that I mean easy to install and stays) Next: Thankyou for your help

R

Randy

Sounds correct

Mike-- Your description of fuel bleeding sounds correct. I admit however, that I have bled the system after a filter change by opening only the vent screw on top of the filter housing, not the one on the injection pump. My (M-18, 1984) engine started and ran smoothly this way. I'm not necessarily recommending it...just letting you know. I believe the diesel sold at auto stations is #1 or #2, depending on temperature. The auto stuff is the same as the boat stuff, but with different taxes. As far as changing fluids again, you probably don't have to do that. The most frequent interval in the engine manual is 100 hours (I think) for the oil change. Other fluids can remain in service much longer. Being a bit obsessive about my boat and its engine, though, I've taken to changing the oil twice a year: in the fall, after haulout, then again about 1/3 or 1/2 way into the next season. This works out to once every 30-50 hours for me. Oil is cheap, metal is not! Other fluids (transmission fluid, coolant) get changed annually, regardless of how much "service life" the book says I have left. I still have the original exhaust flapper, less the rubber flapper element. I have looked at stainless steel units (Catalina Direct has one) but I haven't done anything about it yet. Randy

D

Don

M-18 Fuel bleeding

I have the same boat, so yours is probably the same. The M-18 has a self bleeding system, but it doesn't hurt to help it along. Turn your key switch on, but don't start the engine. You should hear the electric fuel pump clicking. Open the knob on the engine fuel high pressure pump and the electric pump should start clicking much faster. It is by-passing fuel and air back to the fuel tank. Close the knob and the clicking should slow to about 1-2 clicks per second. If you really want to double check, you can open the bleed screw on the spin on filter until fuel comes out. Yes, you can buy fuel at service stations. In FL, marine fuel has red dye in it that signifies road tax has not been collected. Oil should be changed every 75 hours or at least once a year. In cold climates, many people change it in the fall and again in the spring. Not necessary here in FL. Tranny oil once a year. Coolant every 5 years. My exhaust flap has been missing for 4 years will no ill effect. I purchased one from Catalina Direct and will change it next haul out.

Status
Not open for further replies.