Universal M-18 Diesel rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

My Universal M-18 has an adjustable throttle limiter (basically a screw with a locknut) atop the engine. Mine is set so the enign will rev only to 2450rpm in nuetral, and to 2150rpm in gear. Engine runs fine, and I get about 5.9-6.0 knots on the GPS at 2000rpm. But, I'd like to have the extra rpm available in case I encounter heavy wind/waves/current in my inlet. Should it be adjusted to allow higher rpms? Randy.

G

Gordon Torresen

Universal M18

The specs four M18 call for a max. RPM of 3200. At that speed you should develop 14 HP. The recommended cruising RPM is 2100 to 2600. The limiting adjustment could be corrected to the 3200 RPM max. This is usually factory preset and locked with a sealing wire.

G

Gordon Torresen

Page two - M18 RPM

Thoughts sometimes come dribbling in. Be sure of the accuracy of your tachometer before you change the high speed limiter. We see more tachometer problems than governor malfunctions.

R

Randy

Tachometer Accuracy

Gordon-- Thanks for the advice about the tachometer. You've made me wonder if I really am able to achieve 5.8-6.0 knots at only 2000rpm. Maybe I'm really running faster than that. That leads me to another question--how do I tell if it's accurate? (Other than the fact that it's a Teleflex, and it was newly installed in '93, I know nothing about it.) Thanks for your help, Randy.

Status
Not open for further replies.