Universal Diesel Model 5411

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul B.

I have a 1982 Catalina 30 which I purchased last summer. The small 2 cylinder Universal Diesel Model 5411 runs great and is very dependable however it emits white smoke out of the exhaust. I've checked the oil supply and there is no indication of water being mixed in, however, the oil is quite dirty for only 40 hours since the last change. The engine has about 1400 hours showing on the meter. Is this alot of age for this particular engine? Could fuel additives such as BioCon cause this smoking. Would worn piston rings give this kind of symptom? Any Ideas? Thanks ...Paul

B

Bob Camarena

Are you sure it's not steam?

I have an '81 with the 5411. You may have noticed that the raw water cooling system puts relatively little water into the exhaust. This is normal since most of the cooling water exiting the engine is diverted to a T fitting on the inlet, mixing warm water with the cold incoming water from the thru-hull. The end result is that much of the water entering the exhaust is converted to steam, which might be mistaken for white smoke. Clues would be, steam dissapates relatively quickly, steam doesn't smell. Also, if you're burning oil, you'll use oil. By the way, my oil turns black very quickly as well. You may just have a normal 5411.

B

Bob Robeson

I had a 1982 Newport 30 with the same 5411 engine. I have found that when it warms up and you are running above 2200 rpm, the steam will start. Below 2000 I don't think I ever saw any steam. If the rings were worn, it would be hard to start. New oil will turn black almost instantly, so don't worry about that. 1400 hours is not a lot of hours, but it is the care and attention an engine has been given that determine its life. Always warm your engine up before using. Let the engine idle for a few minutes(5)to let the engine cool down when finished using it. Look at the fuel, it should be red, almost like coolaid. If it is brown, replace it, it can cause smoke, hard staRTING, AND POOR PERFORMANCE. I change my oil every 100 hours or once a year. I always keep my fuel tank full and keep some stabilizer in it. Good luck. Bob

B

Banana Wind

I also have a 1982 30 with a 5411. I agree with the previous responses. The 5411 seems to be a good little engine but it cooling system is unlike other marine diesels that you see today.

Status
Not open for further replies.