Universal 5411 stalled won't restart

sidw

May 1, 2006
- - newport, ri
My new-to-me Oday 28 has a problem.

The motor lost power on a short run out of port, stalled, and would not restart. The first couple of tries to restart, it seemed to be firing while the starter was engaged and died within seconds, but after that it spins but does not catch at all, even using the glowplugs. Any suggestions as to what to look for? The battery seems to have plenty of power.

My first thought was the fuel filter, but it seemed to be quite clean, like it was just replaced. Since it is July 4, I could not find a replacement from the usual list. West Marine does not provide a reference for this engine, and when you google for a West Marine replacement for the 298854 filter you get a slew of West Marine filters, some of which include water separators. Any ideas for a Sierra replacement?

I also have a silly question in this regard, as to what you need to do to replace and bleed the filter. I include a picture of my engine for reference. I was expecting a bleeding nipple, but the closest thing I can find is the small bolt to the left of the injectors, so you have to loosen that bolt and to bleed the lines. And it looks like the decompression lever is behind the injectors. Am I missing something?

And of course I need suggestions for the next troubleshooting step.
Any help would be appreciated.
Uni 2511 questions.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You might have an electric fuel pump with a screen as a pre-filter, and no filter before that. That’s how O’Day plumbed the M12 in 1985 anyway. If that’s the case disassemble the pump to get to the screen and you might find it’s clogged. It’s better to replumb the system to put a proper filter before the pump for the extra filtration capacity. When you turn the key listen to the pump click. If it clicks only once every few seconds it’s probably clogged.

To bleed the engine you can use the electric pump, but I’ll defer to others with more 5411 experience on the details of the bleed valves.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The motor lost power on a short run out of port, stalled, and would not restart.
That sure sounds like a fuel starvation issue. The cause could be a clog fouling a fuel line. I'd start at the engine and work back to the fuel tank. Remember some fuel lines have a screen in the tank on the end of the dip hose. If you had fuel in the tank over the winter, a little bit of wate in the fuel could have allowed algae to grow.
Good Luck.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
After checking all the filters in the fuel system crack the fittings at the injectors , then pump fuel until no air bubbles come out. The 5411 will NOT start if your glow plugs are no good.

• Helpful
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Try NAPA for a cross reference fuel filter. Take the hose off the electric pump and pump some fuel into a mason jar. It should be nice and clear. If you have slimey looking stuff swimming in it you have bad fuel and likely clogged filters. A ziploc bag will work but they often leak a mason jar is a lot better.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Check for a small circuit breaker somewhere on the starboard side of the engine/engine box.. If you have one of those, rty resetting the little red lever on the breaker... then make sure the pump is pumping.. Good luck..