Universal 25xpA ?

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi all,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
I have been researching for the actual differences between the Universal 25xp, 25xpB and my engine, the 25xpA with no luck. I did find the differences between the xp and xpB but, I can't find any technical or physical differences with the xpA.

If anyone has info, other than the usual Universal and Kabota sites, please let me know? Thank you much.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What I could find with a Google search was this:

But, unfortunately, it seems to link to an M12-series manual.

I do recall a Westerbeke "History" of the M series engines. I thought I had a link in a bookmark, but haven't been able to locate it.

Yet. :banghead::beer:

Workin' on it. :cool:

Sep 25, 2008
Hi all,
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.
I have been researching for the actual differences between the Universal 25xp, 25xpB and my engine, the 25xpA with no luck. I did find the differences between the xp and xpB but, I can't find any technical or physical differences with the xpA.

If anyone has info, other than the usual Universal and Kabota sites, please let me know? Thank you much.
Thanks for searching Stu. These are actually the ones that I found as well. The only difference seems to be the instrument panel and free wheeling prop not affecting the gears. I was wondering if there was any difference in internal materials or adjustments. I have not found any yet, even looking at the parts listings. At this point, I'm guessing that there really is no difference in the engine at all. So, I'll stop concerning myself with finding any and concentrate on enjoying it. Thanks again.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The only difference seems to be the instrument panel and free wheeling prop not affecting the gears.
The Hurth Transmission is the same for all variants. The just clarified don’t leave it in forward.

Not sure that the changes in the control panel Is linked to the Engine. I think they adopted changes from Seaward as they came in.

Sep 25, 2008
The Hurth Transmission is the same for all variants. The just clarified don’t leave it in forward.

Not sure that the changes in the control panel Is linked to the Engine. I think they adopted changes from Seaward as they came in.
Thanks for the reply. My previous boat had an M25xp. There was a mod for the wiring harness that had been installed by the PO. I'm thinking that the xpA is the model that this upgrade was sold with.(??)