Universal 25XP breather fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken Wescoat

The engine base breather hose is giving off some fumes. I was thinking of relocating it to the air intake,and allowing the engine to suck the fumes back into the the cylinders. Will the oily fumes and drippings cause any problems with the valves,rings or intake manifold getting gummed up ? Thank you.

K

Keith

fumes

On my boat I extended the "road pipe" tube about a foot and slid it inside of my blower intake tube. (the white 4" blower tube) I always run my blower when ever the engine is running to remove excess heat and fumes any way. This removed all of the fumes and kept the cabin cooler. I am sure the engine will run better not having to burn the fumes but all new cars burn the fumes. Remember the PCV valve on cars? Same thing.

G

Gordon Torresen

Crankcase ventilation

I'm not sure what you mean by "base" breather hose but placing the end of the breather hose in close proximity with the engine air inlet is a good thing to do. A diesel engine sucks in so much air that a little from the crankcase wouldn't be noticed. In fact, many of the Universal diesels have a clip alongside the air inlet that holds the end of the breather hose. I wouldn't recommend putting the breather hose in a blower hose, nor would I recommend running the blower while the diesel is running. The discharge from the breather hose would put an oily coating in the blower and anything connected to it. Since a diesel uses so much air, it would make more sense to push air into the engine box, rather than try to evacuate it. Granted that there is a second hose that should allow air back in but I feel that the net result would be a lower pressure within the engine box.

Status
Not open for further replies.