Universal 25 - Installation -Burning rear bulkhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

expossum

Am in process of buying a Cat 310, 2001. On inspection, the uncooled part of the exhaust (I'm not an engineer) seems to touch the rear bulkhead and scorch it. Not sure whether current lagging solves proble. Would this be a factory induced problem? Seems unreal a company of size and expereince of Catalina would design something like this. Whilst boat 8 years old, seems overall like new. Has anyone experienced similar problems nad how have you fixed it?

Would really like some advice!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Not a problem on my 2002

Sounds like you are missing some insulation or the water injected into the exhaust through the exhaust elbow is blocked.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Thanks, rpwillia. Had it checked by local well known surveyor who only recommended adding a s/s backing plate to bulkhead to dissipate heat. Engine has only had 281 hours. just seems an unusual installation.

Jun 25, 2004
Catalina 310 Hilton Head
Talk about timing!!!

Am in process of buying a Cat 310, 2001. On inspection, the uncooled part of the exhaust (I'm not an engineer) seems to touch the rear bulkhead and scorch it. Not sure whether current lagging solves proble. Would this be a factory induced problem? Seems unreal a company of size and expereince of Catalina would design something like this. Whilst boat 8 years old, seems overall like new. Has anyone experienced similar problems nad how have you fixed it?

Would really like some advice!
We purchased a 2001 Catalina 310 almost 3 years ago. Just this past April we were underway (for less than an hour) I smelled smoke and it turned out the bulkhead was on fire. Long story short, the elbow joint between the exhaust and exhaust riser is not insulated and neither was the bulkhead. Everyone I talked to said that over time the bulkhead dried out and finally caught fire from the inside out (it did make a real nice round hole). I'm at work and can't add the pictures. Anyway once the bulkhead was replaced, I made sure the elbow was insulated as well as the bulkhead.

My advice would be to tap on that bulkhead real good-especially directly across from the elbow, and maybe just count on replacing it.

Has the current owner had to replace it?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If you contact Catalina, they will send you an updated insulation kit for the exhaust elbow, no charge. Had the same problem on my 2003, hull #231, and the new kit has been in place for over 600 hours, and has worked fine.

Jul 1, 2009
Thanks, all you guys for quick and worthwhile/helpful responses. Really impressed as a new member. Wished our politicians would be as good at it.
1. paulj - your pictures are great, but as a non-mechanic, could yo please tell me what cause was, how you actually fixed it and what you used as insulation material. (sorry to be so dense).
2. butchrobbins - I don't think owner replaced-just put up with it.
3. Thanks, Tom J - shall try this route, which really makes sense, once exchanged contracts, even though my hull no is 149-way before yours. Shall let you know out come (hopefully before x-mas).

Thanks again to all and hopes my answer makes sense after 1 scotch per advise and reply.
Future (hopefully) Albanach.

Jun 25, 2004
Catalina 310 Hilton Head
contacting Catalina

If you contact Catalina, they will send you an updated insulation kit for the exhaust elbow, no charge. Had the same problem on my 2003, hull #231, and the new kit has been in place for over 600 hours, and has worked fine.
How do you contact them? I've tried on-line before with no results.

Jul 1, 2009
butchrobbins-contacting catalina

How do you contact them? I've tried on-line before with no results.
Have contacted local catalina dealer who has promised to pass my request on to catalina.
Shall keep informed what, when, if anything happens.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I called Catalina in Largo, FL, and they got right back to me. You can also call Frank Butler in California, who runs Catalina, and he will usually get back to you.The number in FL is 727-544-6681. Frank's number is 818-884-7700. A couple of websites are CatalinaYachts.com, and Catalinadirect.com. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.