Universal 25 - Installation -Burning rear bulkhead - 07-01-2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
It may be of interest to some other Catalina owners to see the end story to the captioned threat.

Catalina were really quite helpful in the end and have now provided me with an insulated panel insert – free of charge. It is teak veneered on one side (unfortunately, this, which is also running vertically, does not match the existing grain, as the bulkhead grain seems the only one on the boat to run horizontally – however being in the rear cabin it is hardly noticeable) and has an insulation pad on the other side – about 1/4 “ thick, giving not only insulation but also more vent space from the exhaust elbow. It came with an installation drawing.

Installation involved cutting out the insulation area and then screwing on the panel to the rear bulkhead (matching screws supplied by Catalina).

Tested it with a 3 – 4 hour run under power at 21 – 2400 revs. : The panel still became quite hot, but one could still touch it, which was not possible before. Therefore, there should be no more danger of the bulkhead igniting.

The first 4 attached pictures show the panel’s veneer, insulation before installation and after. (Cutout shows slip with saw that needs to be tidied up yet.)

The next two show the severe scorching on the facing of the cut out bulkhead piece and its penetration via a cut section.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
It's funny, mine is right up tight to the bulkhead, in fact I had a heck of a time removing it to deal with my failed damper plate issue, but no burning was evident. I would sure like to move the engine forward a bit.

Jun 25, 2004
Catalina 310 Hilton Head
It's funny, mine is right up tight to the bulkhead, in fact I had a heck of a time removing it to deal with my failed damper plate issue, but no burning was evident. I would sure like to move the engine forward a bit.
I had this happen to me this past May while underway. We did not see any evidence either, until the bulkhead caught fire from the inside out. I've been told that the bulkhead dries up internally and finally ignites.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I think I have the mod, but how do I know?

My 2002 has a nice silver insulation like that pictured. Is there any information on which years/models were affected?

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Sorry, folks. I posted this reply 2 days ago, but it seemed to have disappeared into a black hole somehow. Here goes again:

1) Warren seemed to indicate that this type of insulation panel became standard in later hull nos. Mine is hull 149, year 2001.

2) My initial contact was via the local Catalina dealer and then communications continued with:

Warren Pandy
Catalina Florida

727-544-6681 ext 275

Email : warren@catalinayachts.com

I am sure, that Warren will not mind me passing this on as his excellent service in pursuing the matter for me is really great PR for his company. He did mention that Gerry Douglas was informed of this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.