Universal 25 Diesel Starting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck Graser

COLUMBINE #5153 has recently demonstrated a starting problem. The Universal 25 engine cold starts very fast on both batteries, but it won't start on one battery, as usual. The electrical systems seems to check out fine, but the problem seems to either indicate a voltage drop problem or back pressure in the exhausst system. Are there any good ideas out there beyond what I have found in C-30 Tech Talk? Thanks, Chuck

K

Kevin

It happens to me too

Hey Chuck, I have noticed if my starting bat is the least bit low on amps I get the same thing. I have taken to letting the glow plug warm for at least 30 sec. before trying to start. Of course, if it doesn't start I have to use both bats... Someone told me to drain the aqua-lift muffler and that helped "once"... Since then it's the same ole' thing. If you get help with this, please let me know.

B

Bob Robeson

Mine too

My Universal M-25 would only start if I had a good charge on both batteries, but it would hardly ever start on one battery no matter how well it was charged. I friend of mine told me to check, and clean all electrical connections, especssially the grounds. I found the solinoid that is bolted on the starter has its own short ground wire. When I cleaned that connection, it now starts with just one battery. Check your ground connections. Good luck Bob

A

Andrew Bell

Universal Starting

I am not an expert on the subject but, look at your battery types. Previous to my C34 I had a tough time starting the Volvo in my CS30. My research suggested that a battery designed to provide current for starting as opposed to a deep cycle marine battery would be better. Since I sold the CS30 and purchased a C34 I never found out if it worked. However, I just purchased a new battery and bought one rated for starting diesel engines.

M

Mark Gale

cranking

I have the same engine. Last year I bought two new dual purpose batteries. They were the most powerful West Marine sold in that category that were standard sized. Unless it's pretty cold, one will start the engine. Be sure to wait a full :30 for the glow plugs to heat. One deep cycle battery would not start the engine. I didn't want a starting battery because we are on a mooring and I want the capacity. It's worked well.

Status
Not open for further replies.