Understand

Feb 4, 2009
None Poor :) My Dreams
So I walk into class, and naturally, sit down next to the cute girl I was eye flirting with the week before. We make small talk during the lecture and the break. Sailing comes up as a topic. Lets lay some basic information about me down:
1. I would trust myself captaining nothing more than a paper boat.
2. I've probably been sailing lots, but raced never, and more than day sailed once.
3. I like to impress, and I sometimes am like "uhh did I just claim that" after I say something.

So the following dialogue ensues.:
blah blah blah "I love sailing, I'm on the racing team, do you sail?"
me: "uhh, yeah I mean, I'm pretty sure I can handle myself. I'm not half-bad"
her: "great, come out on monday, we have our first practice/meeting then"
me: "sure, I'll be there"

Now my question is this:
Anyone have a half decent guide or quick write up they can do to save me.
Teach me to not look like a complete fool the first meeting!!!
I need to have at least a basic understanding of racing terms, boats, events.
etc.

Much appreciated.

Ctskip

Sep 21, 2005
other 12 wet water
Teach me to not look like a complete fool the first meeting

It sounds like you have already done that. Open mouth insert foot. Go to your library and look for Chapmans book of sailing. Open it and read the opening lines of every paragraph. Maybe something will sink in. Sailing on the water is a constant teaching classroom.
From your post. it sounds like you need more help than with sailing. Try honesty and see how far that gets you. It a good habit to take up. Speak from your heart and not your head.
Let us know how it goes.

Keep it up,
Ctskip

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
CT's suggestion is good re: Chapman's book

It is considered the sailing bible but you haven't got time for that and it's a bit late for honesty.

I recommend you rent Capt. Ron and Waterworld and watch them both several times. Then go in and try to fake it (again), you might just get lucky. I'll add a linky on docking instruction just in case you happen to be the one to bring it back in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8alNxLjCBJc&NR=1

Jun 3, 2004
Prindle 18, beach catamaran Chicago (North Edgebrook), IL
Come clean, spend your time thinking of a spectacular statement regarding how you are a novice, but wanted to spend time with her.
Learn sailboat terms: halyard, sheet, jib, main, tack, jibe, port, starboard, hike/hikeout/hiking strap, fairlead, block, winch, purchase, boom vang, traveler. This will help when she is yelling at you to do things.
Keep your head down when you turn, the thing that whacks your head is called the boom, very important, it moves very fast.
Learning to sail with the racing crowd will be serious fun.