Under an 8' bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack

I live on the wrong side of a low bridge. Currently I step the mast on a 17 foot Newport on the water with a home made rig. Everything works O.K., however, detaching and attaching the foward stay clevis pin is precarious because of the thin narrow foward deck. Two suggestions already obtained: (1)Attach the stay to a pulley and line then cleat it by the mast where it would be easier to reach. (2)Attach the stay to a small remote operated superwinch. The winch would lock, however would the winch safely hold the stay while sailing? Suggestions (other than moving to the other side of the bridge) would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack

R

Randy

Headstay

Jack-- I had a Newport 17, and attaching my headstay was tough on land--it must be really difficult on the water. Do you usually have a helper with you? If so, having the helper apply some forward pressure to the mast (supported by the two shrouds) helps to close the gap between the headstay's turnbuckle and attachment point. Also, I found that attaching the jib halyard to the attachment point (tang?) allows you to apply your own pressure to the mast, relieving the load on the headstay while you attach it. If you use any type of pulley or winch system, make sure the hardware and lines you use are plenty strong enough, and check frequently for wear. The relatively small, narrow foredeck doesn't help, though I never found it to be terribly restrictive, and I'm a big guy. By the way, my Newport 17 is now for sale--I've moved up to a Catalina 27. Good luck with yours. Randy

D

Dave McCarthy

tabernacle??

Jack, Check with a rigger to see if there is a way You could set your rig up to tilt forward. It would depend on whether your boom length would clear the 8' when the rig is tilted and your shroud configuration. But, it would keep you from going all the way forward and you could do nearly all the work from the cockpit. Good Luck !!! Dave

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Babystay?

I would consider running a second line from near the top of the mast forward. This would have to be spectra or similar so that you had enough strength without bulk. I would rig it to hold the mast forward to take the load off the headstay while you slipped the pin, and would try to find a way to rig to take the load as you lower the mast aft. Does the Newport have a backstay or two aft swept shrouds? If the latter, you will risk torquing it it you lower if forward. Unless maybe you cut each shroud short, installed tackle and let line through that tackle to lower the mast forward. Does that make sense? It would be hard to keep them synced, though. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

R

Randy

Tabernacle idea

The Newport has two aft swept shrouds, and no backstay. Given that, I'd imagine that laying the mast forward with some sort of tabernacle arrangement would be difficult at best. Laying the mast back using the hinged mast step is difficult, too, but at least it's workable. The idea of adding an additional Spectra line to the mast head to temporarily take the load is a good one. Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.