Uh oh, rotted wood under port seat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2007
- - Madison, AL
We have discovered rotted wood under the port side setee :0 What are our options? Is this a must fix now, or can we get some sailing in this season?

D

don

bilge stringer

you have got the ever so popular catalina rotten bilge stringer problem, yes you can get some sailing in this summer. i have just fixed this problem by cutting the sole out and by catalina recommendations ground out the bilge stringer and glassed in 3 layers of roving and mat. WARING!!! this job is hell to do so if you can hire it out. the grinding is the worst part starboard side had 1/8 plywood 1/4" bondo like stuff then 1/8 plywood then 1 1/2" more of that bondo port side was hard also. for the sole i used 2x2 pvc lumber as a sole floor frame then plywood/carpet. this now gives you air space and drainage to to the bilge no more trapped water under the sole. some people just shot git rot into the rotten wood but i found that the bondo like stuff had lost its bond in places to the hull hope this helps

Apr 10, 2007
- - Madison, AL
bilge stringer

Don, Thanks for the reply and the info. Sounds like we have another arduous job for this winter. How long did it take you? Did you determine where the water was coming from - or is this a common problem because water that gets in anywhere will settle at the lowest point? Tamara

D

don

reply to bildge stringer

Tamara, i had found that over the years that one owner had screwed something to the stringer leaving two holes so water had found its way in. i found many deck leaks, the windows had what i call rope caulk the style that you find at rv stores that is on a spool and a air gap between the hull liner and the house,i filled that in with sikaflex and re bedded the windows. the repair took about 40/60 hours be prepared to pull every thing off the boat before you start (dust every ware ) i cut the sole pan at the base with a cut off disc in the main sole then i cut the flattest part of the sole between the seats table area. when i installed the new sole i tapered the plywood to the rise of the hull. i also added 3 4" deck plates to inspect the hull. you will lose about 2" of head room when you are done but boy is nice not to step on a wet sounding sole unfortunately i did not take any pitchers of this repair thanks don

Status
Not open for further replies.