type of oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck

I HAVE AN 88 CAT 36 WITH THE UNIVERSAL 25XP ENGINE. WHAT TYPE OF OIL SHOULD I USE. I CAN'T FIND MY OWNERS MANUAL. MOST OF THE OIL I FIND SAYS FOR A GASOLINE ENGINE. CAN'T FIND ANY THAT SPECIFIES DIESEL. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS.....CHUCK

K

Kevin McGrath

Diesel oil

I use Shell Rotellat the manual recomends 10w-40. this is oil for diesel engines.

R

Rob

Chevron Delo

Try the auto supply stores. I know Chevron makes an oil specifically for Diesel under the name Delo. I don't know if there is an actual difference between "gas" oil or "diesel" oil but I guess it couldn't hurt to get the oil formulated for diesel if possible.

B

Bob Robeson

Engine oil

We just bought some oil for our 1986 C-36, with a M-25 engine. The manual says to use SAE 30 with the CD rating. We bought Chevron Delo on sale at West Marine in the 1 gallon size (the engine with filter takes 1 gallon) for only $6.45 a gallon. This is CD rated diesel oil. Good luck Bob

K

Keith

Deisel oil

You might try your local CO-OP station or a tractor farm supply store. They usually stock oil for diesels.

W

Walt

Use a CD rated oil!

On each container of oil there is a circular seal from some kind of standard rating agency. Look at it carefully and you will see that the rating code starts with the letter C -for combustion. That's the oil you want. If it starts with the letter S, that is for gas or spark ignition engines. There's even a web site for that rating agency you can look at. (I don't have a container of oil handy and I can't remember what it's called) Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.