Two Questions - on 100% Jib and Securing Gooseneck

Mar 6, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Marblehead MA
Hello All,

MA based c22 owner here. Can anyone suggest the best sailmaker to order a new 100% blade jib? I bought the boat this year and have a 110% (don't like the shape upwind) and a Genoa (which is great ) and would like to go to a 100% that can be sheeted inside the shrouds for better pointing in heavier breeze.

Also, my gooseneck keeps forcing the screw slugs (ordered from Catalina Direct) when I crank on the halyard. With an adjustable gooseneck, it seems difficult to secure the gooseneck in the track with "screw in" fittings that don't eventually work themselves loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
James
Marblehead, MA

Jul 28, 2016
Regarding your gooseneck question, if I am understanding your issue, the sliding gooseneck is causing you an issue. On my boat, I drilled and tapped a hole in the base of the groove for the mainsail, and threaded in a button head socket head cap screw to prevent the gooseneck from sliding up. I am using a boom kicker, which needs a fixed gooseneck to work properly, but the newer Mk II Capri's all had fixed goosenecks, and there are retrofit kits available, but I found my solution to work just fine, and a far lower cost.

Mar 6, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Marblehead MA
Thanks guys. Will post a photo. Adjustable gooseneck ...don't quite get there logic..oh well.

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Hello All,

MA based c22 owner here. Can anyone suggest the best sailmaker to order a new 100% blade jib? I bought the boat this year and have a 110% (don't like the shape upwind) and a Genoa (which is great ) and would like to go to a 100% that can be sheeted inside the shrouds for better pointing in heavier breeze.

Also, my gooseneck keeps forcing the screw slugs (ordered from Catalina Direct) when I crank on the halyard. With an adjustable gooseneck, it seems difficult to secure the gooseneck in the track with "screw in" fittings that don't eventually work themselves loose. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
James
Marblehead, MA
I sheet my 110& inside the shrouds. You just need to tell your sailmaker to build a long enough Leach to get the Clew near the cabin top whether it's a 100 or 110. I use Ulmann Sails, they know how to build it. BTW if your 110 is a furler, that's probably why it's high Clewed. Best of luck. A sheeted in blade is a killer sail!

Jul 28, 2016
Someone asked for a picture on this a ways back. Finally got a chance to post one. Simply drill and tap the bottom of the mainsail groove to accept a button head cap screw above and below the location where you want to secure the gooseneck. Simple, and virtually no cost. Here is a picture of the gooseneck on my boat with the mast removed for clarity.

IMG_0175.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
I have an Ullmann 110% ordered to complement the 135% I purchased along with a new main several years ago. The 135% works well for Boston Outer Harbor up to 20 knots. When the winds are higher than 15 knots, I will put the 110% on. Light wind days, I'll use the 135%. These I can sail single-handed with the Harken MKIV furler, even racing. Total crew weight and experience determines sail area.

The fixed gooseneck retrofit kit made things so much easier on my '88 Capri 22.