Two Holder/Hobie 12s

Sep 23, 2022
Holder Hobie One 12 san Diego
After just one outing on my landlords sunfish she bought for $400, I got the bug back. I wanted a small quick skiff type boat that I could overpower sailwise. Couldn’t afford an RS whatever but… I think I’ve got just the perfect match. I found a Hobie One monohull in Los Angeles and the owner was proposing I use it with a Laser Standard mast and boom. I said OK I’m game and paid $350 (w/a decent Laser mast and boom). An hour later I was on my way home to San Diego. It didn’t have a trailer so I went looking for one and lo and behold I found another Hobie One on a trailer, also $350. Done deal.

Since purchasing these two great 12’ hulls (5’ beam) I have outfitted them with laser standard sails, lines and rigging, one with a jib from Rolly Tasker. These Holders, designed by the late Ron Holder, we’re purchased by Hobie Alter to market as a monohull dinghy. They originally came with a tiny 68’ sail, probably so kids could learn and not capsize. In my mind, they failed in the long run because there wasn’t enough sail. As planned, I’ve bumped that to a tad over 100 sqft with future plans on going bigger if I’m able to singlehand 15 knots of wind speed.

I’ve painted both hulls black and tagged them with logos to give an America’s Cup look. One USA. One New Zealand. Both sail great. One with the jib and the one without as a novice buddy boat. Everyone at our bay asks “What are those?” Even a Moth guy. I converted the single boat trailer into a stacking double. It works just great as shown. Total project cost under $1,500.
6BAFC15E-084B-436C-B10F-6C15941AE0FF.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2022
Holder Hobie One 12 san Diego
The Jury is out on speed comparisons to the Laser. We’ve only had sub 9 knot winds so far. Can’t wait to stretch the legs on the red one with the jib.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
@HenryHester : Could you say a little more about the painting process? What did you use, and how is it working for you? My little boat might deserve a coat one of these days (although I probably won't manage the amazing AC livery :))