Twisting a fitting on tank

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello all....

So I am converting my aft holding tank to gravity fed. In doing this I would like to re-orient a 90 degree fitting on the top of the tank to get a better angle for new deck pump-out. I don't see any sealant or glue but the thing won't budge..... applied pressure, but didn't want to just break it so waiting till I have a bit more info. Its 15 years in the same position... maybe heat it up? Some 5200 remover down the threads? I was going to start with heat.

Just figured Id ask to see if any wise person knows better.

Thanks!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What is the tank made of? Assuming plastic.
I pulled my plastic tank out (O’Day 322 ) and found that the fittings were screwed into the plastic. Mine were not tight (part of the reason I pulled it out). There was some sealant on the threads, but it was pretty dried out (1988-built boat...probably the first time the tank/fittings were removed).

some heat may be enough to break things loose.

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Assuming that you're trying to remove a male thread-barb hose fitting that's threaded into a female tank fitting, Teflon tape is the only sealant that should have been used on the threads. Heat should soften it enough to unscrew it. If it's a 90, tapping on the barb end of it (don't get too aggressive with the hammer!) may help too.

I'm not sure what you mean by "converting the tank to gravity fed." How 'bout some more details about what you're trying to accomplish?

--Peggie

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Could it have been fabricated with a fixed "welded" fitting? In which case, it is what is is...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
If it’s not functional as-is, OK I get it. But I’ve had my ”fill” of holding tank projects. If this is an improvement, is the juice worth the squeeze?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yes the juice is worth the squeeze.

I did this last year to my front tank with great success.

My tank, which sits above the water line, right now has a deck pump out from the bottom, a mascerator pump out from the top using a pick-up tube, a y valve to switch between direct flush over or into tank. Two thru hull fittings serve the current discharge configuration. Get tired just thinking about the confusion and the amount of hoses and space taken up. So what I did on front tank and am doing now on aft tank is to have a hose directly from the bottom discharge to a thru hull fitting (locked) for gravity fed. Doing this I can fully drain tank when off shore if needed and eliminate mascerator and all hoses plus I am eliminating 1 thru hull fitting (glassing over). Then take former discharge from top of tank that uses the internal pick-up and use that for deck pump-out. My tank has a small sump in the middle so deck pump out will get almost every drop out (I've check the front after conversion last year). All flushing goes directly into tank with no option top flush overboard. By doing this I simplify the system, eliminate about 7 feet of extra hose, a y valve and a mascerator and gain a bunch of storage in a once crowded vanity.

Its a male threaded 90 degree fitting going into female tank fitting. I was hoping just Teflon tape.... but it didn't budge and so far I have found beneteau does some crazy things..... I'll start with a bit of heat to soften things up and gently twist! Just need to move about a quarter turn, but if it starts moving will remove, clean, re-tape and insert to new position.

Thanks!!

Greg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Aha, now I get it...you want to be able to DRAIN the tank via gravity.

Looking at your photo, I have an idea that should work if you can't break the fitting loose: plug it and create a new discharge port using a Uniseal UNISEAL You'd use PVC pipe to make a new pickup tube and this time you'd have to cement a new hose fitting onto it. I can walk you through the details specific to your tank and intstalation if you want to send me a PM.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Sounds great Peggie......

As always thanks for your help! I will follow up this weekend after I have had a chance to tackle this...

Thanks!

Greg

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
You don’t have to plug it, just open the existing to fit a uniseal. I tried to turn mine and couldn’t. It,s a bulkhead fitting that Beneteau used a permanent adhesive. I broke the seal trying to turn it. i made a wooden plug with a lip to fit the existing hole to guide the hole saw. I also found the pvc pipe attached to the fitting had fallen off which explains why my macerator didn’t work.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So yes I added a bit of heat and the only thing that turned was the top “retaining nut”. As bob said the fitting appears to have been put in place with adhesive with the pick up tube actually sliding into the fitting. And yes bob the glue failed on my front tank and was just about done on this tank..... came right off. I think what I will do is 1-clean and re-glue pick up tube as I did on front tank and 2- live with and work around the current position of the fitting. It’s not perfect but I tried..... if there are any hiccups I will go the uniseal route. So bob when you added the uniseal do you now have a similar set up with a fitting on top and tube below??

As always thanks for the great input!

Greg
First picture is inside tank.... pick up tube slides into “black sleeve” which is the fitting itself.

18CE4682-DABA-4234-AB01-1EDFC1C41ED0.jpeg071A1AAF-7A1C-4987-BEDB-20C174ECC2C1.jpeg

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Wow... thanks for the photos. So you removed current fitting got uniseal and inserted.... guess you had to attach new pick-up, then added the 90 degree fitting. Looks nice. Not trying to leach off all your hard work but..... you wouldn't have the part number handy for uniseal and fitting would you??

It will make it so much cleaner with less hose by moving fitting.

Thanks!
Greg