TV/VCP Breaker

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Hey Guys, going to do some wiring over the winter. Was hoping to use the TV/VCP breaker as we don't have a TV. Not sure what VCP means. I did note that the TV/VCP has a fuse and 3 wires, Red/Blue leaving it. Does anyone know where these wires end up? Thanks,

Attachments

Sep 11, 2019
Thought it might be something like that. Wish I knew where they ran the wires. I never use the breaker so I could disconnect and reuse. Just wondering where they go.

Thanks,!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Look for a tool called "fox and hound". It is a tool that is used to trace wires. You take one part of the tool and put it at one end, say the TV/VCP wire, then with the other tool you start tapping on the connected wires at the distribution panel. You will eventually find the associated pair.

Sep 11, 2019
Interesting. I've never used one of those, but watching Youtube it may work.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
You could use a cable tracker to find where it goes. Might be the same thing as 'fox and hound', but cable tracker is what I know it as. Available from $25 at horror freight, on up to as much as you want to spend. I suspect the $25 version would be good enough for your needs..
Cable Tracker

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've always wanted to get one of those to map all the switches and outlets in my home to my circuit breaker panel.
In the case of the OP. He doesn't know where the other ends are. Could be pushed back behind a bulkhead somewhere.

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
The beauty of the tracker: You only have to be close to the wire, and you'll get a tone. Start at the end you have access to (at the breaker), inject the tone, then follow the cable. Works great through sheetrock, I can't imagine it would be any different in a boat. So you can track the cable routing without disassembly/destruction of the interior.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Ayup. "Fox and hound" == "cable tracker"
They're worth every penny. Disconnect/turn off the fuse or you'll trace all the wires. In a boat, since so many wires are in close proximity you may get some crosstalk on others. Also the FG liner on my boat seems to attenuate the signal more than drywall, but I could still easily trace wires through it.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
It ends there where Hunter planned to install the (I presume optional) TV and VCR. Find pictures of H386 similar to yours on the web and look for installed TVs.

Sep 11, 2019
Thanks everyone. Just fixed up a floorboard while it was warm out. Will dig into this deeper and let u know what I find