TV Antenna - would standing rigging work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Hunter

Has anyone attempted to utilize their standing rigging for a TV antenna? I was looking at the bolts for the chain plates the other day, and was wondering if I hooked up one side of the antenna wire to the chain plates and the other to a keel bolt, what a TV antenna that should make! Anyone have any thoughts???

B

Brian Pickton of BeneteauOwners.net

Antenna

Jan.27,2001 Dear Jack, I tried it with one of my radios without success and concluded that the rigging wasn't the right length for the reception I wanted. A friend of ours who is a gear head tried it on his TV without success on his 36 footer. He reverted to a regular antenna. Also another sailor was mentioning the other day that there have been some real interesting high tech developments in antenna resulting in much smaller and more powerful units being made available. Sorry I don't have a source, but you might want to check with a local wire head and see what you can learn. Fair Winds, Brian Pickton of Beneteau Owners.net, Aboard The Legend, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

B

Bob

Try This...

Jack, We have a 2001 Catalina 36 MkII. I was getting ready to spend $125+ for a cool-looking mast-mounted TV antenna, (plus the installation on the mast, running the wire, drilling, etc., etc., etc...). I did some research on the Internet and ran across a site that featured critiques of equipment from recent purchasers. The reviews for the high-priced antennas were mixed - from "this works OK" to "this thing is pure crap - I got ripped off" - all on the same piece of equipment. So, until I get this sorted out and decide what to do, here is what I did... Took the stock 'rabbit-ears' from boat TV, and extended the antenna wire about 10' with some over-the-counter foam-wire from Orchard Supply ($3). Whenever we want to watch TV, I run the antenna/wire out the hatch right above the TV, shove the base of the antenna in the mainsail cover mast tie (foward side of mast), extend the rabbit ears to touch the port and starboard center shrouds, and, viola!, TV reception better then cable. We gained access to at least 10 more channels this way. That was 6 months ago...still have not decided what other antenna to use...why bother if this works... Hey, man, it looks funky, but it only takes about 2 minutes to set up/take down, was 'almost' free and does the trick. I have compared "reception" notes with my marina neighbors and there is NO difference in the reception that we get with this el-cheapo version and their expensive 'marine-grade' antennas. Whateversuitsya.... Good luck. Bob

K

Ken shubert

Double Duty

I use the VHF antenna. Mine is a simple "piano wire" whip mounted at the top and it works great for TV as well as the 2 meter ham band. Hope you get this resolved in time to watch the Super Bowl ! Ken S/V Wouff Hong

J

john renfro

cartoons

hello jack, tv antennas are generaly a directional type of device and almost all your rigging will be pointing the wrong way. if ken is getting good results with a whip and you don't want to use a perfectly good set of rabbit ears then go to the whip and get useful radio as a bonus. john

R

Rob Rich

I tried it too, after reading a recent post...

But got nothing. In fact, it was worse than having no antenna. I am going to try a small signal amplifier from Radio shack, and see how it works. Best of Luck. Rob

D

David

RE amplifier

I consider myself somewhat of an Audiophile. Trust me when I say the money spent on an antenna amplifier is not worth it. 99% of the time, it only adds noise to the line and can actually distort the picture. The amount of gain is usually not worth the investment. As with all things, it might work, but I'd sure keep the receipt.

D

david lewis

Antenna amplifier

I recently bought one at radio shack to help my signal for FM radio broadcasts. I was trying to improve my reception to get this great jazz station I get fine in the car but not in the house. From what I could tell the amplifier did absolutely nothing and I can only consider it a scam.. It had a nice directional dial which did nothing when rotated, it plugged into the wall and had a nice light showing it was on but the reception stayed exactly the same. I returned it within an hour of purchase for a refund.

T

Tom

Not as good as TV antenna

TV signals are horizontally polarized. Notice how tv antennas are built with radials extending out in the horizontal plane. FM transmissions, as in from your VHF radio, ham radio, or the local FM radio station, are vertically polarized. Your VHF antenna is a vertical whip, in the vertical plane. Your mast & rigging are also in the vertical plane. Lay your boat over & your tv reception would improve, if using the rigging for reception....

Status
Not open for further replies.