Turnbuckles and Cotter Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Cotter rings

Any thoughts about using cotter rings? Cheap, easy to use, can't open accidentally, re-usable, no sags. Any down side?

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Any thoughts about using cotter rings?
I think they look silly on turnbuckles when they have to be large and go around the body because most of the take up is used. They are also a pain to install in that case.

I found the ring for the pin that holds my upper lifeline at the stern pulpit lying on the deck the other day so, evidently, they can snag on something and get pulled out.

I used rings on the lifeline pins because the shape of the fitting didn't work with the method shown in the linked post and I wanted to be able to take them down quickly if some emergency required dealing with something over the side like a person in the water. However, I'm rethinking that now.

I do use a lot of cotter rings on shackles and other such fittings.

Feb 8, 2009
Sabre 34 MK-1 Annapolis, MD
My surveyor called out all of my cotter "rings" as an uderwriting concern. I guess the risk of snagging and pulling out the ring types is greater than the risk of the straight type snagging sails or flesh.

For either type, tape removes all risk.

Nov 22, 2008
tape removes all risk.
Except of looking ugly, leaving a sticky residue, having to be replaced frequently, promoting crevice corrosion, and often letting the ends of the cotter pins poke through so that skin gets snagged anyway.

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
One of my sailing friends has some Velcro straps with pins in them for that purpose. Because I lower the mast often to move to different lakes I made some for my boat. Bought the Velcro strap material at Ace Hardware and some #6 flat head SS sheetmetal screws, removed the threads and used epoxy to mount in the Velcro and covered the head with a round piece of Velcro. Used a leather hole punch for pin in the Velcro. They are easy to use. I had seen them for sale somewhere but do not remember where.

Feb 8, 2009
Sabre 34 MK-1 Annapolis, MD
Except of looking ugly, leaving a sticky residue, having to be replaced frequently, promoting crevice corrosion, and often letting the ends of the cotter pins poke through so that skin gets snagged anyway.
I'll agree on all counts. I think that the cotter rings are a better answer. I like your solution for turnbuckles, but that only addresses a portion of the cotters.

So, you don't like tape, and my surveyor (and therefore insurance company) doesn't like rings. What do you use on your clevis pins (standing rigging and life lines)?

Nov 22, 2008
What do you use on your clevis pins (standing rigging and life lines)?
All standing rigging done this way and un-taped:

Turnbuckle upper ends are Sta-Lock fittings so no pins. Mast tangs done the same as in picture.

I only have pins on my lifelines at the stern pulpit where I have been using the cotter rings. I haven't decided yet whether to watch them more closely of do something else. If I ever have new aft sections made, I'm going to use lashings there as well.

My forward lifelines end in eyes and I use nylon lashings instead of turnbuckles. Compact and kind to hands and sails.

You may think the lashing suspect but I have seen a high tech, single handed, round the world racer with similar lashings used instead of turnbuckles for all of the shrouds. If it's good enough for that service, it should be good enough for lifelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.