Turnbuckle Alternator Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2010
Vagabond 39 (trunk cabin) Holland, MI
Hi folks -- I need a little advice.

I'm going to try and improve my life a tad.

I've got a 100A Balmar alternator (912-100D) mounted on a Perkins 4-108M. The only recurring complaint I've had with this set up is that in order to adjust the belt tension, I've got to get behind the face of the alternator with a 9/16 wrench to loosen the lock/dog bolt (being very careful not to short the wrench from the block to one of the positive output studs.) Not as difficult as some other access challenges, but aggravating all the same. I'd live with it, but now...

The swing arm of the alternator bracket has finally chaffed through the coolant crossover pipe (it takes the freshwater from the starboard side of the block across the front of the engine and up to the heat exchanger/exhaust manifold.) That's going out for repair.

My latest brain fart is that a turnbuckle equipped with rod ends would make adjustment easier and probably eliminate my chafe issues. This is sort of a common fix in the automotive realm, and a couple of places include the turnbuckles as part of a retrofit kit. I'd like to avoid buying a six part kit when I only need the turnbuckle part.

So, my questions:

Can anyone give me an idea of how beefy I need to go to make this set-up work?

How much of a load on the turnbuckle are we talking about here?

Any suggestions from those who may have done this themselves?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
With this setup

You need to be a little careful. With this setup is it very easy to get a little too much belt tension, which may not hurt the belt, but which can drastically reduce the life of the water pump. Too much belt tension will kill that front bearing.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have them on my old Jaguar and they are a joy to use. Just monitor your belt tension. It's SO easy! I hate sticking a screwdriver or box wrench into the adjustment arm of the Balmar for tension. I keep thinking of one of the old Jag adjustment 'turnbuckles'.

Apr 4, 2010
Vagabond 39 (trunk cabin) Holland, MI
Nice -- Yeah, I'm with you. I'd still be checking tension the old fashioned way before I locked the turnbuckle adjustment down.

Rick -- Jag, eh? Snob... I've got a more pedestrian (sometime literally) Triumph GT-6. (Why oh why do I continue to complicate my life by owning British automotive products? ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.