Tuning guide confusion

Aug 17, 2015
So I am ready to rig and launch. I am reading various tuning guides, and most of them encourage making the forestay as long as possible. Some of the guides have a note suggesting the mast be perfectly plum in the case of having a wing keel. I have wing keel tall rig, so I want to make sure I have the rig set for balanced sailing without a lot of weather helm scrubbing off speed. I also want to be sure the curve of the forestay is matched to the cut of the headsail so the draft of the jib is about 2/3 forward for optimum lift. What do most wingkeel tall rig owners do for tuning their rigs? I'm sure I will need to make adjustments after checking for slack in shrouds while heeled, but needs good starting point. Keith

Jul 9, 2013
I only have experience with the fin keel standard rig, but remember many discussions on this BBS' prior iteration (that had tons of historical data stored - some of which has been restored on this new board) that the fin keel needs it's mast raked back as far as possible but the wing keel needs to be perfectly straight - no rake.

Hopefully some others on here with actual wing keel/tall rig experience can chime in to confirm or contradict my memories...

Aug 17, 2015
Well, I got help rigging. She is in the water . Set the uppers at 31 and the lowers at 20. The forestay turnbuckle is about half in. Rigged the main, covered it on the boom. Rigged up the main sheet,traveler, vang, backstay. Just need to set up things for spin. First sail tomorrow.

Attachments

Jul 13, 2011
Capri 22 MK1 659 Canandaigua Lake
I had a TRWK and I don't think my forestay turnbuckle was half in...more like a thin inch showing inside the turnbuckle top and bottom. When the boat was overpowered it developed a pretty strong weather helm, so I reefed early and often to keep it pretty flat. I also had a second set of reef points put in to match the reefed size of a s SR main. I'm no sailmaker, but I think the curve of the forestay has more to do with the tension on the backstay than the length of the forestay.