Tuning behind the mast furler

Sep 29, 2016
Lord Nelson Lord Nelson 35 3 Full time cruiser
Helping a friend replace the standing rigging on his boat. I have replaced rigging and tuned my own rig successfully, however he has a Harken unit 1 rigged as a behind the mast furling system. I have no experience with behind the mast furling and
am wondering how this changes the tuning procedure. I have not been able to find any information at all concerning anything other than installation.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What kind of boat and what type of rigging?

Most of what I would consider would be the column of the mast, seems it should be straight, just like a forestay.

Sep 29, 2016
The boat is a 43 foot Gulfstar. Masthead sloop with a single set of spreaders and a set of forward and aft lowers.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Mast tuning is related to mainsail trim. How does "behind the mast" furling relate?
Forgive me if I'm being obtuse.

Sep 29, 2016
Because the behind the mast furler adds another adjustable "stay" between the forestay and backstay. Placing tension on it changes the shape of the mast and would then seem to also play a role in the tension of the forestay, backstay and also mast rake.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Where and how is the furler attached?

Almost regardless of the answer to that, most masthead sloops have masts like telephone poles.So, "standard" tuning with the double lowers is straight up and down. Any rake should keep the mast straight anyway, wouldn't it?

Sep 29, 2016
Standard tuning on this type of rig should be about an inch of prebend forward and a rake of about 1 degree to be later adjusted to weather helm when tuned under sail.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
A friend has this rig on a Hunter 30. I would set the rake at 3-4%, same as any other rig, then adjust as necessary for weather helm.

Like any furler, adjustment of the front of the sail with halyard or downhaul is not available. That leases the mainsheet, a Vang, and, of course variable, easy reefing. Without vertical battens, such a sail will have no roach, so it will be less powerful than a standard, roachy sail on the same mast.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
A 43 ft Gulfstar masthead sloop with 1set of non-swept spreaders, forward and aft lower shrouds and, I assume, cap shrouds with chainplates abreast or very slightly aft of the mast base?

In most cases, the mast on such a rig would be tuned with no prebend and 0-1 degree of rake.

Adding a furling mainsail on a extrusion aft of the mast would affect the balance of the sail plan. Mainsails on headsail furlers are not common, to say the least. This rig is a “one off” and not part of the original design. You’ll have to experiment with rake to get the helm balanced.

Id start with with zero rake, and then test sail it in typical conditions with the working headsail. Adjust the length of the forestay to increase or reduce rake until the helm feels balanced when using the working sails.

Mast prebend isn’t going to make any difference to the shape of the mainsail, so iI wouldn’t tune any into the rig unless you see the mast pumping. The forward and aft lower shrouds should suffice to prevent pumping.

A mainsail for use on a headsail furler presents some design problems because the furler extrusion will have a sagging “hollow” curve in it when the mainsail is under load. Usually, a standard mainsail is designed with some amount of positive luff curve, which contributes to the position and depth of the draft. A headsail luff is always cut with a hollow, not a positive curve, to compensate for the sag in the extrusion. Mainsail performance is affected by changing the curve of the luff track, so I imagine the performance of the mainsail will vary with wind loads and furling.

To be honest, I think that using a headsail furler for a mainsail is a very big compromise in sail shape and control for a way to achieve convenience. There’s a reason why none of the spar makers or sail lofts offer such a product line.

Good luck.

On edit - fixed a few typos and grammar.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2016
DrJudyB,
Thanks so much for your detailed answer. The information you posted makes a great deal of sense. I never considered the rake not making a difference since the sail was on the furler but you're absolutely right. So used to doing something one way makes it easy to get tunnel vision. I do agree that a furling mainsail is a huge compromise, it's just what he has. Thanks again!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
With a Harken roller furling aft of the mast going from where (at the head) to where (at the tack)? Where are you sheeting it to? Is the boom going to remain? A bigger questions is "How is the sail going to be cut and trimmed?

Maybe I'm missing something. Can you post a sketch of what is being considered?