Trying to track down info on lines

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
I am doing an inventory of all the lines I inherited and would like to identify the vendor where these were purchased. Does anybody recognize this logo and tag?

IMG_2104.jpeg

Feb 28, 2022
Oh no - the previous owner got the kit that allows the halyards to run aft, but it looks like he cut them since they were so long at the base of the mast. :facepalm:

So I guess I'm going to be learning about splicing lines. This at least clears up all the questions I had about the lines.

Feb 28, 2022
Yeah thanks - that's probably exactly what I need to do. I guess first question I have is about mating two pieces of the same line. It kind of sounds like you're using one that is slightly larger to cover the smaller line. Any issues with me mating two pieces of the same? And I'll probably try to find a similar line that I can practice on. Any recommendations for tools that I should get before starting?

Feb 28, 2022
A couple more questions for you @AaronD

I've been thinking about getting this kit that includes all the hardware that I'm going to need to replace the wire halyards in the mast with line and to run the halyards aft. 60' and 65' of 1/4" line.

The lines that have been cut come from this kit from Cajun Ropes that are reportedly 70' and 73' with 5/16" line.

So a couple questions and some thoughts:

• Assuming I can practice and get the lines from Cajun Ropes spliced, is 5/16" too big to fit through the masthead sheaves?
  • I would prefer the triple line blocks line in your install to the individual cam cleats that come with the CD kit. Is that a safe replacement? My kit comes with lines for spinnakers, topping lift, downhaul, and just about everything I've read about, so I'm inclined to get a triple line break and triple deck sheave organizers.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Yeah thanks - that's probably exactly what I need to do. I guess first question I have is about mating two pieces of the same line. It kind of sounds like you're using one that is slightly larger to cover the smaller line. Any issues with me mating two pieces of the same? And I'll probably try to find a similar line that I can practice on. Any recommendations for tools that I should get before starting?
A few random thoughts:
1) I find 1/4" line to be fine for most lines on our C-22's - halyards, reefing lines, outhaul, etc. Everything except for sheets that you handle constantly (I use 5/16" spinnaker sheets and 3/8" jib and main sheets).

Others will differ on that and prefer 5/16" for handling on some (or most) of those lines. Your call - modern line is plenty strong enough for the low loads on our little boats; the choice is about feel, and that's up to you.

2) Related to #1: I have a 1/4" tubular fid that I use occasionally (they're $7 here at SBO). You can buy a full set if you like, but I didn't find I needed the others. For most things, I prefer wire fids, and for those I just use pieces of a roll of wire I had laying around. It's about .035" diameter; anything close to that would work fine. For really tiny line, I have a bit of .020 piano wire bought off eBay.

3) There are two ways to end-to-end splice double-braid. A full-strength end-to-end splice will produce a bulge in the line (which might or might not work for your halyards, depending on where the bulge will end up and what blocks it would have to run through). A constant diameter splice in double-braid is NOT full-strength. That splice is used for things like continuous-line furlers, where you need an endless loop that doesn't have a bulge. But for a halyard, you don't want to give up that much strength.

There are lots of other sources online, but Samson's reference site is one place to start. Class I is normal Dacron line; Class 2 is line with a high-tech core (like Warpspeed). It requires different splices, because the strength of the line is very dependent on the core.

More answers to come when I have a few more minutes.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
A couple more questions for you @AaronD

I've been thinking about getting this kit that includes all the hardware that I'm going to need to replace the wire halyards in the mast with line and to run the halyards aft. 60' and 65' of 1/4" line.

The lines that have been cut come from this kit from Cajun Ropes that are reportedly 70' and 73' with 5/16" line.

So a couple questions and some thoughts:

• Assuming I can practice and get the lines from Cajun Ropes spliced, is 5/16" too big to fit through the masthead sheaves?
  • I would prefer the triple line blocks line in your install to the individual cam cleats that come with the CD kit. Is that a safe replacement? My kit comes with lines for spinnakers, topping lift, downhaul, and just about everything I've read about, so I'm inclined to get a triple line break and triple deck sheave organizers.
Yes, 5/16" line is too large for the CatalinaDirect all-line sheaves. Stingy Sailor found some that work for him for 5/16" line (with a bit of work on the masthead spacer). I eventually just bit the bullet and bought CD's.

I've been happy with my triple organizers and clutches. The safety consideration there is that I had to remove the grab rails. I almost always go over the cabin top (rather than on the side decks) when going forward, and I have jacklines right there to grab. But your usage might vary. You'll have to think about how you plan to use it. And then keep modifying your boat for years to come :biggrin:

Oh, and I think some of the terms you're looking for are 'clutch' and 'jammer'. The two devices look similar, but clutches let you pull the line through (in one direction) while they're closed, and jammers don't - they're either open or closed. I think jammers are common on larger boats with heavily-loaded lines that would be winched taught, then locked off (with the jammer) to free the winch for a different line.

I think clutches are a little easier to control than the cleats in the CD kit, but people differ on that too.

Feb 28, 2022
Okay that's super helpful. I hadn't even noticed that you'd removed the grab rails, so I'll have to think that one through as I lay out lines.

In regards to the 5/16" halyards, I suspect I'll want to just go with the convenience of the CD kit in that case and use their 1/4" lines. I can always re-use those extra lines for something, I suspect; and if nothing else, I could use them for practicing splicing. And since I don't even have a spinnaker right now, a double organizer would work for me. I can always upgrade, right? :p

Feb 28, 2022
Wow thanks. That’s long read but I’ll work through it.
I have a roll of butyl tape that might work

416F065D-7302-42F6-8B86-5155AFD1A5C9.jpeg
416F065D-7302-42F6-8B86-5155AFD1A5C9.jpeg