Troubled mast step anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Todd

I am curious if anyone in this group has had trouble with the mast step cracking on Beneteau's? I have an '89 First 32s5 that has recently cracked a second plate this year– not surprising as the original plate (and replacement) were both made from a composite casted metal rather than a more durable stainless steel. Any leads on a manufacturer that produces SS mast step plates for a Beneteau 32s5? I am also looking for rigging tips (that I could pass along to the riggers), to prevent this from happening again. As a result of the break I have noticed an increased slack in the backstay, which leads me to believe there was not enough forestay tension on the rig overall... Insight would be greatly appreciated, _Todd

T

Tim

Try Rig Rite

Todd, If you don't already know about them, try Rig Rite at www.rigrite.com. If it has to do with rigging, they have it or know about it, esp hard to find stuff like old Isomat parts. Where did it crack, and are we talking about an Isomat spar? If so, I might have a strengthening tip for you. Go to the Rigrite site and look up what step you have, and if its like mine I'll pass along the tip (I have an Isomat NG37 mast section, with the old-style step, never cracked). Tim

L

Larry Crippen

Fix for broken mast step

Todd, I had a similar problem in the Spring of this year. I published an article on how to fix it in this forum (April,I believe). I have a machinist who can fabricate the repair item but he will need the exact dimensions of your mast step and the base of the mast. You can e-mail me at ljcrippen@att.net and send a photo of your mast step.

L

Larry Crippen

Fix for broken mast step

Todd, I had a similar problem in the Spring of this year. I published an article on how to fix it in this forum (April,I believe). I have a machinist who can fabricate the repair item but he will need the exact dimensions of your mast step and the base of the mast. You can e-mail me at ljcrippen@att.net and send a photo of your mast step.

C

CELESTINO

HO MY GOD

I'M ABOUT TO BY A 32S5, 89'. DO YOU HAVE OTHER PROBLEM'S ? ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD DO ATTENTION ? PEASE HELP ME TO DO A BETTER BUY. BY THE WAY THE 32S5 HAVE 9,78Mx3,03M ?

C

CELESTINO

HO MY GOD

I'M ABOUT TO BY A 32S5, 89'. DO YOU HAVE OTHER PROBLEM'S ? ABOUT WHAT I SHOULD DO ATTENTION ? PEASE HELP ME TO DO A BETTER BUY. BY THE WAY THE 32S5 HAVE 9,78Mx3,03M ?

Status
Not open for further replies.