trolling motor for venture 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nancy Thompson

Anyone have experience or advice on what size thrust for trolling motor for Venture 25'? Until I get some wiring work redone, and find a neutral switch, I need to be able to maneuver out of my slip on Pickwick Lake TN. I have a 36 lb. thrust trolling motor for Hunter 19 which has worked perfectly for 3 years. Please reply to nthompson@voyager.net

S

ssplis

>8hp (2-cycle)

I too own a 1977 Venture by Macgregor. I was initially told to go as large as possible (which would probably be a 9.9). I purchased a 8hp 2 cycle Mariner (Mercury) engine. I got caught on Lake Michigan this year in 6-8 foot waves and plowed right through them! If I were to do it again (buy another new motor) I would probably go with a 6hp engine because it is lighter and would still (probably) obtain hull speed, as does my 8hp. My 8hp actually plows my bow down.

H

Hank Bartosik

Agree with 8.8

I have both a 2 cycle 8.8 and a 9.9 4 cycle that has plenty of thrust for getting in and out of berths. I prefer the 9.9 to get me in and over the wake of fast motorboats and back into shore when a storm is coming close!!

J

Jeff Smith

Hope for little wind

I have an 81' Mac, 25 foot. I've used a 32 pound thurst electric motor, to get in and out of my slip several times, before I got a 10 h/p honda. The electric motor did fine, as long as there was little wind. However, you'll run into trouble on a windy while trying to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.