Trolling Motor as Auxiliary

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a small OB for my 170. I hate outboard motors for all the various reasons.

I have tried using a Minn Kota 30# and it worked but was a little sluggish. Wind was my main concern. Christmas came early this year and I just purchased a Minn Kota 40# for the 170 and fishing. Is anyone using this motor? Comments please.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I don't know which 24 vdc Minn Kota I've got, but it is completely computerized with a GPS system built in. I can push a button and it will keep the boat at that GPS spot, as if anchored, go to a waypoint, or even run a predetermined fishing pattern.
As I said, I don't know how much power it puts out, but I'm guessing it's up there in the largest range. It will hold the 17' center console boat in place in 12 knots or less, but if crossing a few miles with the wind and current on the beam, though it will push that boat at a knot or so, it cannot keep the boat going toward its destination. With a 7 to 12 knot breeze and a current of .3 knot at most, I would have ended more than a mile downwind of my destination in a 2 mile trip.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Tater

Do you have the centerboard down? If no, do so. If you have a wind cross beam, then you would want to point the bow into the wind to maintain a straight line of course. Aircraft do it all the time what is referred to as crabbing. Did this all the time as a hunter dealer often now retired.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
@Tater

Do you have the centerboard down? If no, do so. If you have a wind cross beam, then you would want to point the bow into the wind to maintain a straight line of course. Aircraft do it all the time what is referred to as crabbing. Did this all the time as a hunter dealer often now retired.
Thanks Dave. I do put the centerboard down. I have a Merc 3.3 but I prefer the quiet of the electric. The smaller troller worked so this larger one should be better.

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
I mounted a 12V 36# Minnkota on a H260 and it was great for inching up to a dock and as an emergency back up to the gas motor. Prior to that I had a slightly bigger 12V on a 23. Used it exclusively.

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
Afraid I no longer have that boat. As a trailer sailor, I used it on a small lake and in anchorages on Georgian Bay.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I had a 12v 36lbs trolling motor on my Starwind 19. It worked great on calm days on Lake Michigan. Now it's on my 8' dinghy and it's a lot of fun. It feels similar in speed to your average go kart and it drifts!

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
I am also now using my trolling motor on my dinghy with lithium batteries - very light and more consistent power.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I wonder, with such light weight motors and their availability with remote control, if mounting them as twins, on either side of the rudder, might help turning in place by setting them in counter thrust.

-Will

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I suggested the gel cell since it costs a lot less than lithium. The OP may end up going with a different battery or motor altogether after trying the first setup
I wonder, with such light weight motors and their availability with remote control, if mounting them as twins, on either side of the rudder, might help turning in place by setting them in counter thrust.

-Will
There are some very interesting Chinese motors for boats on the market right now. It's tempting to buy a 1500+ watt motor for my 100lbs dingy :biggrin:

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
I suggested the gel cell since it costs a lot less than lithium. The OP may end up going with a different battery or motor altogether after trying the first setup

There are some very interesting Chinese motors for boats on the market right now. It's tempting to buy a 1500+ watt motor for my 100lbs dingy :biggrin:
I am not ready to jump on the lithium boat just yet. This reminds me of an incident last year when a battery was lost overboard. It cost about $100 so I didn't cry too much.

pgandw

Oct 14, 2023
Stuart (ODay) Mariner 19 Yeopim Creek
I am not ready to jump on the lithium boat just yet. This reminds me of an incident last year when a battery was lost overboard. It cost about $100 so I didn't cry too much.
If you want to step up in price and performance, the Epropulsion Spirit 1.0+ has a 1KW motor, performance of a 3hp gas outboard, an integral battery that fits on the motor, and a battery that floats if you drop it overboard. I have one on my 19ft Mariner, and it's a much better fit than my previous 5hp Honda. Can drive me to 4.7kts at full throttle (5hp gas can get 5kts), but can cruise for 3 hrs at 3.9kts in incredible quiet at 400W on a single charge (10+ mile range is what I figure).

Might be overkill for the OP use case.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133 Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Oct 28, 2023
Hunter 29.5 Midland, On
Thanks for all the insights. My two small lithium batteries, wired in parallel cost me about $130 CDN each. Combined into one battery case with a solar charge controller and circuit breaker weigh about half of one lead acid battery. They run at a consistent power level until they are drained which lasts a long time before needing a charge.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I think I paid 30-40 for the 10A gel cell. Lower capacity is available at a lower price. If you just want to get a feel for a trolling motor, you can always pick up a used one