Trivia question for you. SOLVED

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
Image one: What in tarnation are the pretty pieces of wood stuck to my cabin floor? Forward below my bow bed.

Images two: Why someine have attached a second cable to my jib halyard?

Attachments

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Does the jib have a roller furling? If so, the halyard has to be short, too short to hoist the sail. I tie a second line onto the halyard that I can remove when I get it up so i can fasten then halyard to the furling bail.

the wood seems like some kind of skid. Like something goes there that you dont want sitting in water... battery perhaps? Probably not a porta potty, I don’t care if that gets wet. I can’t really tell where in the cabin it is.

just wild guesses. I sleep posting, so pardon me if I’m unintelligible.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The skids are likely for a head or a battery, maybe a water or fuel tank. Your trivia question is under small boats, so I'm assuming under the 'V' berth.
I have no idea what that cable is for. An extension for an undersized headsail, maybe a storm jib? That really doesn't seem right either, one halyard length should work for all. I don't think many small boats utilize storm jibs either.
Maybe something to tension a fractional rig to pre-bend the mast? Just shooting in the dark. We don't even know what boat we're looking at. Give us a clue or a clew. A picture or two of the foretriangle area would be helpful. I think @DrJudyB will likely know.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
i tried to zoom in on the halyard. It kind of looks more like a forestay than a halyard to me.

if so, could it be for mast raising? if you slip the loose loop end through the shackle, it would form a slip knot that would tighten around the stay. Then you could attach the loop end to cable to the trailer winch. It looks like it’s intended to be easily removed after it has served whatever it’s intended purpose was.

I found that most of what my boat‘s previous owner did was logical. Some of it took me a bit to figure out.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
i tried to zoom in on the halyard. It kind of looks more like a forestay than a halyard to me.

if so, could it be for mast raising? if you slip the loose loop end through the shackle, it would form a slip knot that would tighten around the stay. Then you could attach the loop end to cable to the trailer winch. It looks like it’s intended to be easily removed after it has served whatever it’s intended purpose was.

I found that most of what my boat‘s previous owner did was logical. Some of it took me a bit to figure out.
Great idea for mast raising. This boat has done nothing but sit on the lake for years and with out a trailer, last owners just drank beer on her in the slip.
22 Catalina. The cable ends prevent me from easily slipping the extra cable off. Looks like I may have to cut it off. I do have club meeting this week, i will ask the older member who might know more info about my boat. Will update if I find anything interesting. Thank you for the guesses. Two jibs would be so neat as I have read about them nothing like that is at my club in oklahoma.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The skids are likely for a head or a battery, maybe a water or fuel tank. Your trivia question is under small boats, so I'm assuming under the 'V' berth.
I have no idea what that cable is for. An extension for an undersized headsail, maybe a storm jib? That really doesn't seem right either, one halyard length should work for all. I don't think many small boats utilize storm jibs either.
Maybe something to tension a fractional rig to pre-bend the mast? Just shooting in the dark. We don't even know what boat we're looking at. Give us a clue or a clew. A picture or two of the foretriangle area would be helpful. I think @DrJudyB will likely know.

-Will (Dragonfly)
@Will Gilmore
Will: I have no idea what that wire & block might be used for, as presently configured. It looks like an ill conceived way to use those to me.

The first thing I noticed is that the sheave in the block is the wrong kind for use with wire rope. it’s a wire rope on a plastic sheave. Wire rope will wreck that sheave. Blocks for wire rope must have sheaves made of metal.

Secondly, the wire looks like it is reeved to turn around the post end end of the block. It should run around the sheave, not the post the sheave. If it runs around the around the sheave, then why is the other cable pulling in the same direction?

I wonder what the whole block looks like. Is it a cheek block that’s meant to be attached to a spar? The OP’s fingers obscure one end of the block.

Judy

• Helpful

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
@Will Gilmore
Will: I have no idea what that wire & block might be used for, as presently configured. It looks like an ill conceived way to use those to me.

The first thing I noticed is that the sheave in the block is the wrong kind for use with wire rope. it’s a wire rope on a plastic sheave. Wire rope will wreck that sheave. Blocks for wire rope must have sheaves made of metal.

Secondly, the wire looks like it is reeved to turn around the post end end of the block. It should run around the sheave, not the post the sheave. If it runs around the around the sheave, then why is the other cable pulling in the same direction?

I wonder what the whole block looks like. Is it a cheek block that’s meant to be attached to a spar? The OP’s fingers obscure one end of the block.

Judy
Thank you both, @DrJudyB and @Will Gilmore. I will remove the cable. DrJudyB, spar as in wood pole?

This setup was for my Catalina 22 jib halyard. The jib halyard was lost up the mast when I purchased the boat. Image Two is the "rope" side of the Catalina halyard (which is missing and wire is in the lines place). One half of the halyard was 5/16 line, I guess the 5/16 line should attach to the block I am holding in my hand in Image Two. Would that be normal, to have my rope/line side of the halyard to attach to the post to the block in Image Two ?