Tricky Trailer for MacGregor Venture 22

Oct 30, 2019
Macgregor 22 Sunshine Coast, BC
Hey all! Love these forums.

We bought ourselves a fixer upper 22 in the spring and it was in the water already. We did a seasonal moorage and it's time to take it out of the water. Had a great season out on local water.

We've found ourselves a solid older trailer, manufactured by MacGregor and is the right length and weight capacity, tows well. However it needed some TLC so we've stripped it back, repainted, and are ready to add bunks.

The original layout of the bunks was unusual from what I've seen - it has east-west bunks. ie they were running from one side of the trailer to the center and then another bunk from center to the other side, creating a 'v' shape.

We're not sure whether replacing these will give us the support the swing keel Venture 22 needs or if we need to add north-south running bunks as are commonly seen.

Any ideas about how weight should be sitting, etc much appreciated, along with ideas about if this east-west setup will work. It'll be much more straightforward if we can use the east-west configuration as we'll build new bunks and be ready. But a north-south layout would need bunk risers u-bolted to the horizontal metal framing at the back and towards the front of the trailer.
IMG_20191030_163516.jpg
Many thanks!!

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Hopefully a 22 owner will chime in. You're doing a nice job on the trailer. It looks like maybe a 26x or M trailer. My bunks are all "east-west" as you say. I think your boat may have had north south bunks, but am not sure. If you wind up putting a support in for your keel, consider making it removable in the event you want to do keel maintenance while on the trailer.

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks Jim! You mentioning a 26x or M is interesting because I had thought the same thing.

Great point about the keel support. On this trailer where do you think you would put it, and how would you attach it in there?

Thanks!

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
My initial thought is to get the boat positioned on the trailer so that you can achieve a tongue weight of 200-300 lbs. I might build a few wooden "V" supports that would span the trailer width. These would be temporary to allow the boat to be placed on the trailer with a travel lift. You would stay under the travel lift, moving the boat fore and aft on the trailer until you got the tongue weight in range. Put alignment marks on the boat and trailer so you can repeat the position. Once the position is dialed in, move the boat on the trailer to a level spot. I would build a rear support buck to support the stern from the ground. Then, I would lower the nose jack, lifting the stern, and slide the rear buck under the stern. Next, I would raise the nose jack and transfer the boat to the rear buck. I would the continue raising the jack to get the boat level. Once level, I would block up the bow then lower the nose jack, transferring weight to the nose blocking. With the boat supported over the trailer, I would make measurements for bunk supports, etc. I would fabricate all brackets, and get everything mounted on the trailer. Then, I would check it by transferring the boat to and from the temporary buck/blocking. Once I was happy with it, I'd transfer the boat to the trailer and measure for the keel support.

I'd set up a cross member with padded block to carry the load. I'd bolt it to the bottom of the side rails, or use quick pins at the side rails to allow removal.

I have access to welding and cutting equipment, so this is just a fabrication project to me. If you have access to a gantry and hoist or travel lift, this will be a breeze.

If you don't have a way to lift the boat, and have to fab the trailer to get the boat out, try to find a 22 owner that can measure the bunk length and spacing. Get them to measure between the axle center and a fixed point on the boat so you can get the weight distribution about right. Fab the brackets and supports to get the bunk length and spacing right. Float the boat onto the trailer until you get the axle to fixed point measurement. Pull the boat out and check the tongue weight. If good, move the winch tower and nose block back to meet the bow.

If you find a 22 owner, get a measurement from a fixed point on the boat to the ground if you can. You want to mount the boat as low on the trailer as you can, BUT, not so low that anything drags during maneuvering.

Good luck!

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
What year Mac do you have? if it's like my '82 with a 700 lb iron keel then keeping it stored on a V rack or rollers like a ski boat is a bad idea because that could oil-can the hull. Keep in mind that you will want to launch and retrieve the boat by floating it off and on the trailer rather than winching it on. After floating the boat back on to the trailer I lower the swing keel to the center line support for the keel (bottom of the V) to get back on the road.
take a look at Sumner mac trailer mods on this site

Oct 30, 2019
Thanks very much for the replies!
We were told it is a 1973 but have seen some pics that make us wonder if it's early 80s. I suspect it's a keel of around the kind of weight you're talk about on a wind-up ratcheting winch.
What do you mean by 'oil canning the hull'?
That makes sense about lowering the swing keel down and bit so it is supported and not pulling on the winding system.