Traveler

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Townsed

I have just purchased a Hunter 29.5. I have really enjoyed sailing it, but I am unconfortable with the traveler. The wheel is constantly in the way of sheeting in or out. Has anyone made any adjustments to the traveler to make for eaiser sailing?

A

Alex

There were changes made..

..in later models ,I think 97 and on ,mainly moved in front-and out-of the cockpit.I am not shure older model can retrofit to this. In this case it is out of range for helsmen. I did changed it quit different. I had a longer track installed on front atwartship sitting in cockpit ( as it is there is room enough for 6-7 person), full wide one , which enable fine tuning the mainsail ,and doesn't interfer with a full size one piece bimini.

A

Andy Falls

Double ended

I left mine at the helm and got used to it! When singlehanded, it's nice to have the contol(s) all at hand. But did you realize that it is a double ended mainsheet? A "Dedicated" mainsheet trimmer can use the cabintop winch and trim the main out of the way of the helmsman. Get the slack out of the helm's way by releasing at helm, and taking up at the winch,

J

john w.

Optional cabin top traveler

My 29.5 is equiped with the standard traveler at the helm . The loading on the main sheet with a good breeze made handling the sheet from the helm difficult for me and suicide for my wife .I also found the only way I could use the double ended main sheet was with the winch even in light wind conditions due to the high friction of the many turning blocks . My solution was to replace the fiddle blocks with ball bearing fiddles , one with a becket . By doing this I increased the purchase x2 at the helm and freed up one of the rope clutchs to run the out haul to the winch .

J

Joan

J.W. Sheboygan Traveler

Not familar with term fiddle blocks. Can you identify with a different name? Are they on the traveler itself or on the connection from mast to traveler. I'm interested in doing this, but not knowledgeable enough. Boat US catalogue doesn't show at fiddle block. Maybe a more detailed description would help. Thanks

J

john w.

Fiddle Blocks ?

Joan of Pultneyville , If You look in the index of Your Boat U.S. catalog under "blocks " and then look at the Harken blocks You should find the fiddle blocks . I would give you the page number but they won't let Me have the catalog at work .( can't imagine why ) A fiddle block is a two sheave block with the sheaves one above the other . My origional blocks where fiddle blocks as probably are Yours . To do what I did You want the block at the traveler to have both the becket and the cam cleat . I hope this helps .John .

Status
Not open for further replies.