Traveler Lines - Hunter 31' '84

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Hey all,

I just purchased new halyards and sheets for my '84 Hunter 31. These are all very nice and I look forward to getting them installed this spring. However, I need to get new lines for the traveler. This boat has a traveler on the coachroof just in front of the companionway hatch. There are 2-lines.

Does anyone know the specs on these lines?

Length and line diameter of these?

Thanks,

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I replaced mine years ago. I used 3/8 inch line. I don’t remember the lengths of the two lines, but I made them long enough to reach to the wheel even when all the way to one side, so that when I’m single handing I can adjust the traveler or main sheet without leaving the helm. I’m glad I did that, I do that quite often.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Be careful not to install lines that are too large for the pulleys. I did that and the traveller was difficult to adjust due to friction. Changing to a smaller diameter line solved the problem. The forces on the traveller lines should not be that great on your boat.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
What Joe and RoyS said. Mine are 5/16” diameter. Length depends on how much purchase your traveler has and where the lines are cleated. You really just have to measure your old lines.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto HMT2.............I replaced the traveler line on my 87 Hunter 31 with 3/8 inch diameter. Take a photo of the traveler line, remove it, take them to a rigging shop to prepare new line with spliced eye and whipped end and then install the new line.

Oct 29, 2013
Hunter 31 Lake Diefenbaker
Thanks everyone, I ordered 5/16 line and it works perfectly. Orifginally I ordered 3/8” and yup.....Too large. That said I was able to use those lines to replace the reefing lines in the boom. The boat now has all new running rigging. Feels so good on the hands. Haha