Traveler Change ...

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina 30 Vallejo
I'm changing my traveler from the curved original to a 66" straight Garhauer. (It is part of a complete change of all the deck hardware, all the old hardware off, holes epoxied, and new hardware going on soon. I'm also adding a dodger, and taking off the rails to paint and rebed everything.) So I am wondering if moving the traveler as far forward as just forward of the top cabin hatch will still be able to get good puchase and trim with the mainsail sheet. (The most forward of the 3 blocks on the boom for the mainsheet would be directly over the traveler.) Has anyone moved their traveler this far forward and had it work well still? Doing this would give enough room to fit the dodger well.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
One of the first mods I made was replacing the curved track traveler - the person that designed the curved track traveler never tried to use it!! I kept the teak blocks - I liked the nautical look of the wood.

If it were me I'd fit the dodger to the existing space instead of moving a sail trim control as important as the traveler (it's the primary control for angle of attack) to compensate for the dodger. I can't give you a scientific reason but the pulling angle just looks all wrong to me. Over the years I seen hundreds of Catalina's and I've never seen a traveler set up like your describing.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Are you asking about moving it to the front of the hatch cover? That would be very far forward and I would be concerned about the stress on the boom.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You might try consulting with Garhaurer for their opinion and possible solutions. After all... they designed the thing especially for the Cat 30. I don't know who's taken over for Guido since he passed away, but I'm sure that would be the person you want to talk to. Literally a 5 minute phone call should sort everything out. I certainly would take Don's advice and leave the cabin top traveler track position very close to original. Have your dodger designed around the new traveler and deck hardware configuration. Good luck.

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina 30 Vallejo
Are you asking about moving it to the front of the hatch cover? That would be very far forward and I would be concerned about the stress on the boom.
Yes, right over the aft part of the front of the hatch cover. I think it looks awkward and I will probably try calling Garhauer to check on that.

Nov 27, 2021
Catalina 30 Vallejo
You might try consulting with Garhaurer for their opinion and possible solutions. After all... they designed the thing especially for the Cat 30. I don't know who's taken over for Guido since he passed away, but I'm sure that would be the person you want to talk to. Literally a 5 minute phone call should sort everything out. I certainly would take Don's advice and leave the cabin top traveler track position very close to original. Have your dodger designed around the new traveler and deck hardware configuration. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have seen it moved forward a little on some of the other C30's in my harbor, but calling seems like it could save a lot of grief.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

I like a straight vs. arched traveler since it is not likely to get hung up I assume you want to replace the "arched" traveler over the companionway cover shown in the left photo to a straight traveler like the one shown in the photo on the right (Catalina Direct C30 Mid Boom Traveler Upgrade Deck Mount Traveler C-30 Mid Boom TravelerUpgrade Deck Mount (catalinadirect.com).

1638120766911.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021
Catalina 30 Vallejo
One of the first mods I made was replacing the curved track traveler - the person that designed the curved track traveler never tried to use it!! I kept the teak blocks - I liked the nautical look of the wood.

If it were me I'd fit the dodger to the existing space instead of moving a sail trim control as important as the traveler (it's the primary control for angle of attack) to compensate for the dodger. I can't give you a scientific reason but the pulling angle just looks all wrong to me. Over the years I seen hundreds of Catalina's and I've never seen a traveler set up like your describing.

Thanks for the information ... It does look like the pulling angle would be off. I will still have to lift up the teak supports if I use them as the straight traveler will still hit the curve of the hatch cover.

May 17, 2004
Thanks for the information ... It does look like the pulling angle would be off. I will still have to lift up the teak supports if I use them as the straight traveler will still hit the curve of the hatch cover.
Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm working from memory and it was a long time past but I think I just plopped the Garhauer traveler on the original teak blocks. If I needed clearance, which I don't think I did, I'd have put a shim on the top of the block. I wouldn't lift it up from it's original position.

I think the teak blocks look nicer than the steel supports.

You're going to love the straight track traveler. There were a number of problems with the curved track traveler. It was designed to look like it conformed to the boat instead of what was it's purpose but the bearings were rubber and friction was through the roof and over time they rotted. The worse part was instead of a horizontal pulling motion which does not change the shape of the mainsail, the curved track car, when going downhill, pulled on the main (sort of like a boom vang). My curved track was so bad I sometimes had to put my foot on the bulkhead to get the thing to move.

Note: Don't throw the curved track set up away. List it for sale. I sold mine on SBO. Some C30 owners like it - I have no idea why.

Apr 5, 2009
I may need to reconsider my advice.
In looking at the photo posted by @sail sfbay, it appears that the Mk1 traveler is mounted just aft of the turtle cover (cover over the hatch) which puts it over the sliding portion of the hatch. On the Mk2 boats, the traveler is not over the moving part of the hatch. It is just in front of the trailing edge of the turtle and my dodger snaps onto the turtle lip. I would suggest finding a Mk2 in your area and taking some measurements to see where it is located on them.

Attachments

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
You also might want to call customer service at Catalina Yachts and ask for Warren Pandy. He may be able to give input to your idea.
As on Hayden's boat, my traveler is mounted on raised fiberglass mounts that are molded into the deck. There is only one bolt that is through bolted into the cabin liner.
The raised fiberglass mount on our boats means there may be a difference in that area of the deck between the MK1s and MKIIs. Catalina Yachts will know.

You might also need to move the bales forward on the boom to keep the load spread out properly. I believe the center bale is over the traveler, not over the forward bale. Pretty sure the bales are through bolted. If you have internal lines on the boom you will have to keep that in mind. Catalina Yachts may also have an opinion on that.

It will probably be worth the work for the extra clearance inside the dodger.

Between CY and GH, you'll probably be able to get your answers.

Does Garhaurer have the traveler in stock? Catalina Direct has a note they cannot get them due to supply issues.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I put mine right where the old one was on the wood spacers, exactly like Don Guillette did. Dodger was right behind it. MK1, it was right behind the turtle, over the slider.

I wouldn't move it, as you'd need to re-rig the boom.

Found a pic:
IMG_20190803_081000.jpg

May 17, 2004
I may need to reconsider my advice.
In looking at the photo posted by @sail sfbay, it appears that the Mk1 traveler is mounted just aft of the turtle cover (cover over the hatch) which puts it over the sliding portion of the hatch. On the Mk2 boats, the traveler is not over the moving part of the hatch. It is just in front of the trailing edge of the turtle and my dodger snaps onto the turtle lip. I would suggest finding a Mk2 in your area and taking some measurements to see where it is located on them.
Hayden: Thank you for the picture. I didn't know the term (turtle) so I left that out of my reply but I was wondering why anyone would want to extend the front edge of the dodger way beyond the edge of the turtle? I wouldn't want it short of the turtle. A couple of times coming back from Catalina Island on cold rainey nights I wish I'd have extended the dodger farther aft. Folks below are warm and toasty and I'm wet and freezing -- they ask if I want a hot coffee. What I really want is for one of them to sub for me at the helm.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yep, they're called "risers".... and again... I would consult with the Garhauerer folks... they sell the metal risers to support the track... there's a lot of load, btw. But they are NOT cheap. If you can convert the existing wood risers, or fabricate new ones that could work. Remember, though, that you'll want to secure them to the cabin roof with 3 or 4 through bolts with large washers or backing plates underneath to spread the load. 1/4 inch at least... check with Garhauerer. You can see the metal risers in Hayden's picture above. Hopefully you have something like that to repurpose.

Apr 5, 2009
Hayden: Thank you for the picture. I didn't know the term (turtle) so I left that out of my reply but I was wondering why anyone would want to extend the front edge of the dodger way beyond the edge of the turtle? I wouldn't want it short of the turtle. A couple of times coming back from Catalina Island on cold rainey nights I wish I'd have extended the dodger farther aft. Folks below are warm and toasty and I'm wet and freezing -- they ask if I want a hot coffee. What I really want is for one of them to sub for me at the helm.
I can understand your desire to extend the dodger to the turtle if it now stops on the sliding hatch. The center panel of my dodger is connected with 5 snaps to the lip on the aft edge of the turtle so that no wind comes through. We are in the PNW and can sail 12 months of the year IF you have good heating. A couple of years ago, I installed a hydronic system and am now planning to have a full cockpit enclosure made and will add a heater to create a heated cockpit for the ultimate in winter cruising.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
I can understand your desire to extend the dodger to the turtle if it now stops on the sliding hatch. The center panel of my dodger is connected with 5 snaps to the lip on the aft edge of the turtle so that no wind comes through. We are in the PNW and can sail 12 months of the year IF you have good heating. A couple of years ago, I installed a hydronic system and am now planning to have a full cockpit enclosure made and will add a heater to create a heated cockpit for the ultimate in winter cruising.
Hayden: Nice idea on a heated cockpit. Didn't need one in So Ca but what I wished I had was a set up where I could lay it over the boom for sun protection. I used a tarp but it looked like something from the Beverly Hillbillys.

I noticed your fairlead car - I think it's a pin type. As you know Garhauer makes an adjustable system, which is the 2nd mod I made after getting rid of the curved traveler. It's almost self adjusting but not exactly. I found on my boat that it had to come aft a bit from the point it sets at. I rigged up a system to accomplish that.

Apr 5, 2009
Hayden: Nice idea on a heated cockpit. Didn't need one in So Ca but what I wished I had was a set up where I could lay it over the boom for sun protection. I used a tarp but it looked like something from the Beverly Hillbillys.

I noticed your fairlead car - I think it's a pin type. As you know Garhauer makes an adjustable system, which is the 2nd mod I made after getting rid of the curved traveler. It's almost self-adjusting but not exactly. I found on my boat that it had to come aft a bit from the point it sets at. I rigged up a system to accomplish that.
I have lusted after the Garhauer adjustable jib cars but have not fitted it into the budget yet. I move my cars all of the time and am fussy about lead car position but am able to do it without the expensive cars. If I am racing, I change it on the onloaded side if I have a tack coming up. I can also ease the sheet a few inches and walk down the line to unload the car and move it. This is much easier to do on the Mk2 with the inboard T-track.