transport

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Ken

I am looking hard for a 28.5 and the best source seems to be the Great Lakes area, or southern USA. My location is western Canada, and other than writing a large cheque to a boat transport company, I would be very interested in hearing what how others have moved this size of boat, 1000-2000 miles. I have moved a 27 Catalina on a trailer before, but <100 miles. Any ideas would be appreciated and thankyou in advance.

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
Ken, I bought my 260 in New York and brought it to the Great Lakes - about 600 miles - by trailer. The trip back with the boat took 15 hours which averages to only about 40 miles per hour, or 65KPH. Part of that slow speed was due to driving through New York City at rush hour on a Friday afternoon, but in general with good driving conditions we were normally able to go about 60 MPH/100 KPH. Wet weather, wind, hills and valleys (down shifting and braking) were all factors that slowed us down too, since I didn't want to risk an accident with the "new" boat! We had two drivers, so we made the trip back with no stops, but the quality of sleep in the back of a Suburban is limited and if I had to go the distances you're talking about I'd plan on regular stops in a comfortable bed. Good luck in your search! MikeH

B

Bill O'Donovan

$10,000

From Lake Michigan to Chesapeake Bay, in 1994.

M

Mike Webster

Bill, did they see you coming?

I've had my Vision 32 moved professionally 3 times. In 1996, from the Chesapeake Bay to Lake Michigan, for about $3000, in 1998 from Lake Michigan to Lake Ontario, for about $2400, and in late 1999 from Lake Ontario to Lake Lanier north of Atlanta, for about $3000. About $300-400 of the cost was for haul-out, unstepping the mast, and loading onto the haulers rig at the front end of the trip, and another $300-400 for unloading, stepping the mast, and relaunch at the final destination. I did all the easier prep work myself. The major part of the cost is mileage. The further you have to have the boat hauled, the more it costs. Also, you can save if you can schedule the move at the haulers convenience. If he can move your boat with another boat on the same trailer, and if he has a return boat lined up, it can save you big. Maybe in Bill's defense he couldn't be flexible with his move, but I was always able to schedule it that way.. Be prepared for a very dirty boat upon arrival.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
My move cost;

$6700.00 plus the stuff Mike talked about. The boat was hauled out at Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and trucked about as far as you can go, to Seabeck Washington and off-loaded in my backyard. She spent the next three years there, getting rebuilt. What a wonderful country.

Status
Not open for further replies.