Transom thick enough to leave outboard on during 800 mile trip, C25

Sep 7, 2024
Catalina 25 Brookville Lake
Bought a new to me Honda outboard (120 lbs), and it is heavier than the old motor. It is hard to take on & off the four spring bracket. Does anyone know if the transom is strong enough to stay on the Catalina 25 boat for a 800 mile expressway trip?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That's a lot of weight bouncing around on the transom. I'd be inclined to take it off.

How big is the motor?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO forum.

I would not leave the engine on the transom, especially on an 800-mile road trip. I would drain the fuel tank and set the engine on a carpet scrap in the cabin. I would strap it down so that it stays in one place. I would put a lock on the cabin door.

The engineers did not design the transom to hold that type of load bouncing about over varying degrees of rough highway. Not to say anything about the temptation of an engine hanging about on the back of a trailer in a parking lot is for would-be thieves. :banghead:

It is your boat. Let us know how you made out on the trip.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I replaced my 9.9 2 cycle outboard with 9.9 4 cycle, much heavier on my H25.5. On a 40 mile trip home the bracket broke. Fortunately I did not loose the engine.
Yes, remove it and lay it on its arm. The bracket will not handle the constant strain.