Transmission

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
I also posted this on Mainsail's forum but hopefully someone here has some insight.

I'm rebuilding a Paragon 23L transmission. The engine gear (shaft that has the spline that enters the damper plate) moves forward and aft about 1/4". Is this for and aft play normal?

Everything is properly assembled, thrust washers in place, all bearings replaced and none of the gears appeared to have excessive play. The transmission was originally hard coupled (no damper) to the engine and had this play when I disassembled it. Just a gut feeling that something isn't right but I've never rebuilt a marine transmission before.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mike

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
instead of reposting the same post over many times to get it to the top of the list (which is against forum rules) you can add a bit of extra information or a photo in the "reply" box, and it will then regenerate your post at the top of the list, as is normal and within the rules.... and a photo may possibly help to jog someones memory so they can answer your question:D

and posting in any one forum will show in "all discussions", which is where most everyone reads from, so it will be seen by almost everyone.

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
instead of reposting the same post over many times to get it to the top of the list (which is against forum rules) you can add a bit of extra information or a photo in the "reply" box, and it will then regenerate your post at the top of the list, as is normal and within the rules.... and a photo may possibly help to jog someones memory so they can answer your question:D

and posting in any one forum will show in "all discussions", which is where most everyone reads from, so it will be seen by almost everyone.
Sorry.

I mistakenly double posted in this forum because I thought the original didn't go thru. Very slow internet connection where I am.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike